Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MBA does not recognise USB devices when they are plugged in!

I have been using my MBA (2017 11.6) for years with both a plug in USB Logitech headset and a USB dongle wireless headset. No problems. I would plug in the headsets and a moment later they would appear in the Sound preferences. Suddenly, recently, my Air does not recognise the headsets when they are plugged in. Now I have to restart my Air to have them recognised. Obviously, annoying.

Any solution or advice on this? Do I need to reinstall the OS, is there an app I can run? Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 18, 2021 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 2:19 PM

Hello Ian999.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your MacBook Air no longer recognizes USB devices properly. We will be glad to assist.

Please see the following resource which can help: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac

Cheers.

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 24, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Ian999

First you need a backup of your data. I suggest making a Time machine backup of what you now have. Then go to the apple site and see if you can download Big Sur (it is still ay 11.5.2 level). Do not install after download just keep in applications. You need to make a usb installer then boot into recovery, erase your internal drive and reinstall Big Sur from the usb drive and then migrate your data back from your TM. Review this post:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253176980

Sep 25, 2021 3:02 AM in response to Ian999

Well, HEY!!! I found a solution, sort of.

I was trying everything today and I found a workaround. I plugged an old android phone (Vivo 5, I think) into one of my usb ports, waited a few seconds (the phone recognised the computer) then I plugged in the usb headset. Woola! A second later the headset appeared in the sound preferences! It works! This may work with another usb gadget, but I don't have. If you have this problem give this approach a try. I may well do a complete, fresh reinstall just to clean up my Air, but the pressure is of. Good luck.

My MBA does not recognise USB devices when they are plugged in!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.