Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard drive icon appears twice

The hard drive icon and MyBook for Mac icon appear on my desktop and in Finder. Neither set has the alias icon. Help!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 6:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 8:02 AM

Thank you so much-I was able to remove them from my desktop and leave them in finder. I was out of town for two days and neglected to shut my iMac down-came home to find both drives in the two locations I mentioned. All set-many thanks.

3 replies

Sep 19, 2021 7:27 AM in response to marty1950

Do these drives have names?

MyBook for Mac would likely be the external backup drive that you have connected. The other drive is probably you Mac's internal startup drive and would normally be named "Macintosh HD".

Appearing on the desktop or in the Finder sidebar is not a problem. It's a matter of choice. If you prefer not to see them you can change it.

Click Finder > Preferences... and select the General tab. There you can mark whether these drives appear on your desktop.

If you select the Sidebar tab, you can mark whether these drives appear in the Finder window sidebar.

Hard drive icon appears twice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.