Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drag and drop mp3 to iTunes not working

Hello,

I am a mac user for my whole life and I've never encountered this problem. I add custom music, sets, mixes etc. that I either find on the internet or someone gives me on flashdrives very frequently to my iTunes by the simply drag and drop as propably everyone else does, but suddenly out of a blue sky I am no longer able to drag and drop simple mp3 files. The bizzare thing is that some mp3s I can drag and drop but some of them I just can't. Thanks in advance to anyone recommending a possible solution.

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 4:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 5:49 AM

Hey Machkor13,

It sounds like you're having some trouble dragging and dropping certain songs.

Are you able to move these songs to the Mac itself? If so, try these steps here to import them and let us know if you have a different result with those specific songs: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support.

Cheers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 5:49 AM in response to Machkor13

Hey Machkor13,

It sounds like you're having some trouble dragging and dropping certain songs.

Are you able to move these songs to the Mac itself? If so, try these steps here to import them and let us know if you have a different result with those specific songs: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support.

Cheers.

Sep 21, 2021 7:30 AM in response to Machkor13

Machkor,

There are many ways to add an audio file to your iTunes/Music library. It is not uncommon for one or more of them to be broken. First make sure the valid file is on your local drive.

Then try one or more of the following:

• Drag it into iTunes (or Music)
  • Drag it into a specific playlist (i.e., the open window of a regular playlist, not a smart playlist)
  • Drag it into the "Automatically Add..." folder
  • Use the command File > Import and navigate to its location
  • Right-click the MP3 and choose Open With > iTunes (or Music)
  • Double-click the MP3

If the audio file is valid, at least one of these should work.

If none of them work you may have an invalid or corrupt file.

Oct 17, 2021 11:40 AM in response to karina184

Howdy I am having the same problems that OP has described and have tried all the steps that you have suggested, Plus I have tried all the steps in what the post below has suggested and I still cannot add any songs to my itunes library. It see like nothing will work for me. Is it that all my mp3 files are corrupt (which is highly unlikely since they worked just before this problem), or is it any apple software bug? Any help would be appreciated.

Drag and drop mp3 to iTunes not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.