Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I still need a serial number for iWork '09 ?

I bought a refurbished iMac with El Capitan on it; upgraded to High Sierra. Never checked about iWork within the program-folder.

Now that I needed to use Keynote, it appeared the version I had from before (iWork '08, Keynote 4.04) doesn't work anymore. And updating through the appstore was impossible (it says I never bought it, and that 's true because it came with one of the former systems).

So I looked around and found this: download and install iWork '09 trial, then download iWork 9.3

OK, I have it on my HD and I can run all 3 programs of it - in trial mode, which says it will be unable to save work after 30 days of trial. But when I click on "buy serial number" (or something like that) nothing happens. So what should I or can I do?

Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 1:56 AM

hervaro wrote:

I 've downloaded the new version, but was evidently confronted with noncompatibility with 10.13.
Which leaves me with my problem (for other software-reasons, I cannOt upgrade to newer macOS). And I still haven't got an answer as to my question if the "trial version" of iWork 09 will stop after 30 days. Could you check that for me, please?

The trial version will not work after the 30 day period is over because Apple long ago has turned off the license server. If you really want to use iWork '09 (which I can absolutely unterstand as it has features that no new version has) you can buy the retail DVD which does not need online activation. Search on your preferred online market like ebay or amazon. You'll probably find a retail version on sale for around 30 $/€/£. This version will work on anything X 10.13.* or older and on 10.14.6 (10.14.* below 6 will not work). After installing iWorks '09 retail you need to immediately update to the latest '09 version. The updater is downloadable from Apple's support area on this page.

Also have a look at this posting https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8087617?answerId=32298862022#32298862022

Sorry there is no better answer.

---markus---

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 1:56 AM in response to hervaro

hervaro wrote:

I 've downloaded the new version, but was evidently confronted with noncompatibility with 10.13.
Which leaves me with my problem (for other software-reasons, I cannOt upgrade to newer macOS). And I still haven't got an answer as to my question if the "trial version" of iWork 09 will stop after 30 days. Could you check that for me, please?

The trial version will not work after the 30 day period is over because Apple long ago has turned off the license server. If you really want to use iWork '09 (which I can absolutely unterstand as it has features that no new version has) you can buy the retail DVD which does not need online activation. Search on your preferred online market like ebay or amazon. You'll probably find a retail version on sale for around 30 $/€/£. This version will work on anything X 10.13.* or older and on 10.14.6 (10.14.* below 6 will not work). After installing iWorks '09 retail you need to immediately update to the latest '09 version. The updater is downloadable from Apple's support area on this page.

Also have a look at this posting https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8087617?answerId=32298862022#32298862022

Sorry there is no better answer.

---markus---

Sep 21, 2021 7:33 AM in response to hervaro

Hello hervano,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities for help today.

If we understand, you need to update Keynote, but you keep getting an error that you didn’t purchase this app. Have you tried to delete Keynote and reinstall it? Making sure the app is associated with your Apple ID? Take a look at If you can’t download or update apps on your Mac. You shouldn’t have to buy Keynote, are you downloading it from the App Store app on your Mac?

Here is some information on iWork for you to take a look at:

Reach back out if we can help further.

Take care!

Sep 22, 2021 4:32 AM in response to hervaro

iWork 09 is end of life, Apple no longer support it with updates, iWork 09 can no longer be purchased from Apple.

You should abandon using iWork 09 and install a newer version of Keynote, from the Mac App Store.

For an older Mac OS, the latest version will not be compatible and an older version is required:

1 - Open the App Store

2 - sign in with the Apple ID you normally use

3 - type in Keynote in the search box

4 - Click the install button for the required app, a notification will appear, click on Download

Sep 21, 2021 8:22 AM in response to barberlives123

It 's kind of weird. I don't remember if I got the iWork '09 TRIAL from a thread on apple-support or from somewhere else. But the iWork 9.3 update came from (a) apple-support page.

I add a screenpicture of what I got as a result. But I notice that even if we 're one day after installing this update, it still says "30 days." Maybe because I haven't yet really used it?

The apps from iWork 9.3 still don't appear under "aankopen (bought)" in the app-store...

Sep 22, 2021 9:10 AM in response to Gary Scotland

Sep 22, 2021 10:01 AM in response to hervaro

hervaro wrote:

I still haven't got an answer as to my question if the "trial version" of iWork 09 will stop after 30 days.

We're your fellow users here. iWork 09 (either "trial" version or full version) is no longer supported. It's well over a decade old. It simply will not work on many modern Macs.

If you want a good experience with Keynote or the other iWork apps, then it's time to move on and do whatever you need to do to update hardware and software.

SG

Sep 23, 2021 11:05 AM in response to ruggiero

Thank you Marcus, this way I can move on. It's weird, but not many members of this community seem to understand that one does NOT want to upgrade to the latest version of this or that or whatever. Upgrading to the next os would imply that I cannot use some "niche"-software anymore, because the small company that made it, has stopped. But I need it for my work, so for the time being I am "stuck." And I don't mind that, because all the rest is working fine.

All the same, thank you all for your contribution!

Do I still need a serial number for iWork '09 ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.