Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software update OS X 10.9.5 Macintosh

I am trying to update the software of my Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.5 Macintosh that I purchased in 2013. The Monterey is not compatible but the Big Sur is. When I download it, it will not complete downloading. When I go to apple support and place in my serial number that I obtained from About this Mac, as well as from the bottom of my Macbook, it tells me the serial number is for a different product. I don't understand.

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 3:08 PM

10.9 to Big Sur is too big a leap to do all at once.

use this link to obtain 10.11 El Capitan and install 10.11 FIRST. it contains an Improved mechanism that makes getting later versions easier.

as leroydouglas said, this is the place to get it:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

4 replies

Nov 27, 2021 9:40 AM in response to dnguyen593

dnguyen593 wrote:

I am trying to update the software of my Macbook Pro OS X 10.9.5 Macintosh that I purchased in 2013. The Monterey is not compatible but the Big Sur is. When I download it, it will not complete downloading. When I go to apple support and place in my serial number that I obtained from About this Mac, as well as from the bottom of my Macbook, it tells me the serial number is for a different product. I don't understand.

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

——————————————————

if you have an issue—Update your proof of purchase

Contact Apple Support to update your Apple device information.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202703

Software update OS X 10.9.5 Macintosh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.