Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast app using huge amounts of "hidden" data

I noticed that the second most data hungry app on my phone after my Photo library is the Podcast app, despite using the "Remove Played Downloads" setting enabled and religiously deleting any straggler episodes. Apparently this app is using 6.76 gigabytes of storage, despite the grand total of the stored podcasts I currently have on my phone being 413 megabytes. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what this mysterious >6 gigabyte chunk of data is, and how I can purge it.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Sep 20, 2021 2:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:34 AM

Hey there Gary Robbins,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand Podcasts is using a good amount of storage space under “Documents & Data”. 

Documents & Data can be files stored within installed apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments). If you’re not able to remove that with a restart - Restart your iPhone - the next step would be to delete the app, restart your iPhone, and then reinstall the app. Your subscriptions are linked to your Apple ID and those should return when you reinstall the app.

We hope this helps. Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 8:34 AM in response to Gary Robbins

Hey there Gary Robbins,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand Podcasts is using a good amount of storage space under “Documents & Data”. 

Documents & Data can be files stored within installed apps, and app content like contacts, calendars, messages, and emails (and their attachments). If you’re not able to remove that with a restart - Restart your iPhone - the next step would be to delete the app, restart your iPhone, and then reinstall the app. Your subscriptions are linked to your Apple ID and those should return when you reinstall the app.

We hope this helps. Take care.

Podcast app using huge amounts of "hidden" data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.