Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubles connecting MacBook Pro to iMac

Hi, I am trying to connect my iMac (27" late 2013 model, macOS 10.15.7) to a MacBook Pro (13" M1, 2020 model, macOS 11.6). I have being using a USB-C to Thunderbolt2 adapter with the proper Thundebolt2 cable. I tried all the possibilities from the troubleshooter but nothing worked so far. Any suggestion or help? Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 2:39 AM

5 replies

Sep 21, 2021 4:54 AM in response to ErSardo

ErSardo wrote:

Hi, I am trying to connect my iMac (27" late 2013 model, macOS 10.15.7) to a MacBook Pro (13" M1, 2020 model, macOS 11.6). I have being using a USB-C to Thunderbolt2 adapter with the proper Thundebolt2 cable. I tried all the possibilities from the troubleshooter but nothing worked so far. Any suggestion or help? Thanks!

See if there is anything here:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode

Sep 21, 2021 5:39 AM in response to ErSardo

Original macOS version of late 2013 iMac is Mountain Lion, so you can downgrade your iMac to Mountain lion with following method.

1. Start up your Mac pressing Shift-Option/Alt-Command-R.
  2. Once you see the macOS Utilities screen choose the Reinstall macOS option.
  3. Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
  4. Select your startup disk and click Install.

Sep 22, 2021 3:36 AM in response to kaz-k

Mmm... I see! I don't think I am going to re-install Mountain Lion since I'm pretty happy with Catalina and the settings I have there. Do you know if it would be possible to install High Sierra on a different partition and boot with that one only for using the target display mode? Maybe link that to an ad-hoc created user it would be fantastic. I was thinking about this solution in order to avoid downgrading the whole system to an older OS. Happy to hear your opinion about this. Thanks in advance!

Troubles connecting MacBook Pro to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.