Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages in iOS 15 - read receipts

My read receipts are turned off in settings but showing as read in iMessages. Is this a glitch?

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 6:17 AM

Hello aron225,

It appears you are having an issue with read receipts in Messages.

Please confirm that Settings > Messages, Send Read Receipts is toggled off.

Go ahead and restart the iPhone using these instructions: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support. While simple, this can refresh the iOS, apps and connections. 

If you continue to see them, even though everything is set correctly, we would recommend Contact - Official Apple Support.

Have a good day.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2021 6:17 AM in response to aron225

Hello aron225,

It appears you are having an issue with read receipts in Messages.

Please confirm that Settings > Messages, Send Read Receipts is toggled off.

Go ahead and restart the iPhone using these instructions: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support. While simple, this can refresh the iOS, apps and connections. 

If you continue to see them, even though everything is set correctly, we would recommend Contact - Official Apple Support.

Have a good day.

Dec 26, 2021 12:20 PM in response to aron225

I’m having this as well with my iPhone XR. It was fine until the update. I’ve now done the 15.2 update in the hopes it would fix it but no such luck. Toggled the read receipt a few times, turned phone off and on, checked individual contacts to make sure it wasn’t on for them. Nothing. No rhyme or reason. I hope they fix this issue asap.

Jan 16, 2022 4:02 PM in response to Sephoragrace

You could also try resetting your device through plugging it into your laptop and going to iTunes and then resetting it to a past dates back up before the update that messed you up. Just a thought I’ve done that for other problems and it’s always worked I don’t know for sure if it will work for this. I will try the hard set first, the i.e. up down both button directions I left above.

iMessages in iOS 15 - read receipts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.