Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the fastest way to transfer data to a new iPhone?

I'm currently using an iPhone 12 Pro Max and will soon be moving to an iPhone 13 Pro Max (both 512 GB).

I'm looking for the fastest way to transfer data from the old phone to the new phone. I've seen one answer on the forum which seems to imply the fastest transfer method is QuickStart.

From the Apple article referenced (and some other reading), it appears that QuickStart simply exchanges some data so the new device can use the Wifi network and iCloud account.

The article implies that once the negotiation takes place the user can restore from an iCloud backup or from a Mac. In preparation I've begun backing up to iCloud, though I normally back up to my Mac.

Which is faster and more dependable? Restore from an iCloud backup or from a Mac?

I know that syncing an iPhone and Mac can be problematic over Wifi - even with a rock solid Wifi connection. I have a Netgear Orbi AX6000 Wifi 6 mesh with a router and two satellites connected over a dedicated Wifi 6 link and even so a sync will occasionally hang and require a reboot of the Mac, some times even having to force the Mac down because the hang doesn't appear to be recoverable making me power off the Mac and disk check all the attached disks.

Could it be that moving to a different satellite node causes the hang? Does the iPhone need to stay within bluetooth range of the Mac or some other weird thing?

Anyway, I'm looking for the fastest and most dependable way to do the restore of a new phone from backup. The choices appear to be:

1. Over Wifi using an iCloud backup.
  2. Over lightning using a USB connection to the Mac.
  3. Over Wifi using a Wifi connection to the Mac (though I'm not sure this is an option).

Can anyone shed any light on the process?

I've seen the terse answer to use QuickStart and a reference to the Apple article on using QuickStart, but in classic Apple fashion it just gives steps to take and says nothing about speed or reliability or restrictions on mobility or proximity between devices.

I don't remember what I did last year - probably backed up to iCloud and used QuickStart then restored from iCloud. I also don't remember if carrier activation was before or after the restore, so I don't remember if I was without a working iPhone for a while.

Thanks in advance for any information.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 7:20 AM

All I can tell you is I have used Quick Start for the last few years and it's fantastic. Do whatever method you feel will work best for you. If one method doesn't work to your satisfaction, it's fine. You can always wipe the phone back to out of box new and start over with a different method.

You may have already read this, but this provides directions for the methods available to you --> Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 7:20 AM in response to Big Iron

All I can tell you is I have used Quick Start for the last few years and it's fantastic. Do whatever method you feel will work best for you. If one method doesn't work to your satisfaction, it's fine. You can always wipe the phone back to out of box new and start over with a different method.

You may have already read this, but this provides directions for the methods available to you --> Transfer data from your previous iOS device to your new iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Sep 21, 2021 12:16 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yeah, I think I used an iCloud backup last year as well.

It would make sense that it's faster because last I heard lightning is limited to USB 2 speed - though using a Wifi 6 connection to the Mac might be faster than an iCloud restore due to the fact that most of the data will be within the Intranet which should yield lower latency and higher throughput.

Still though, I find Wifi connections for Mac sync to be problematic.

Sep 21, 2021 7:28 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Okay, that's one way - use the iCloud backup.

Chances are the scan of the constellation on the old phone transferred bluetooth parameters, and a bluetooth exchange got enough data to tell your old phone was backed up to iCloud, and connected using your AppleID and passcode (or some other security token) to begin the restore.

I'd imagine if you hadn't used an iCloud backup it would've asked you to connect to your Mac and restored from there.

I'm still interested in knowing if it's faster to restore using an iCloud backup or Mac backup.

Maybe no one knows, because they either use one technique or another (automagically) and no one's ever metered the process trying it both ways.

FWIW: this is not just an idle item of curiosity - I've got a 512 GB phone which has 145.74 GB free. That means I have 367.26 GB of data.

I realize that a backup probably doesn't have the OS or apps backed up (which will be redownloaded from the store), but the remaining app data certainly (and media probably) actually exist in the backup and have to be restored. I don't remember how long it took last time, though I may have just let it go for as long as it took.

Sep 21, 2021 1:38 PM in response to Big Iron

There are many more variables involved in the transfer to evaluate than any computer company could cover in a knowledge base article.

If you have a computer using USB-C connectors then a restore from backup might be faster depending on what type of WiFi router you are using. If you have the latest router the speed difference will not be significant.

Apple has never allowed Bluetooth transfer for setup. You are correct in your assumption, it would be glacially slow.

Sep 21, 2021 2:07 PM in response to deggie

Yeah, but I think lightning (last I checked anyway) is limited to USB 2 speed.

Anyone know if that's improved?

I know phones come with a USB-C to lightning cable, but I though that was just because that's what's on modern power bricks and Macs.

Also, if Wifi is used is that using a phone to phone connection, or using the Wifi network (access point) the phone is connected to?

Sep 22, 2021 5:20 AM in response to Big Iron

Hmmm ... come to think of it, if this were ethernet the IP address would get resolved using ARP tables in the router to Mac addresses if both were on the same subnet - so effectively they'd be having a point-to-point conversation though the switch if both were on the same switch, totally bypassing the router.

I wonder if that's how it works with Wifi (which seems to use the ethernet model).

If that's the case, it would explain why the Mac <-> iPhone sync goes crazy if the two devices are separated, even if they're on the same Wifi mesh.

I wish I knew more about how Wifi works.

What is the fastest way to transfer data to a new iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.