Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing storage with 2 devices using the same Apple ID

I upgraded my storage to 2 TB. One of my kids use the same Apple ID as myself. Her phone is not showing 2TB and only showing 64MB. How do I make sure the 2TB works on her phone? I’ve tried family sharing and it says she’s already in a family. It’s showing on her side she’s on my id but the storage isn’t opening up on her phone. (She will get a new Id when we get new phones but for now I need a fix) 🤪. Thanks

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:06 AM

TWO problems.

You should not be sharing an Apple ID with anyone. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

You can’t add storage to an iPhone; it will never have more storage than it did when you bought it. What you bought (or actually rented) is iCloud storage, which is used for syncing and also for backing up. But it doesn’t add any capacity you your phone. See→What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support for details.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 8:06 AM in response to Jennmitt21

TWO problems.

You should not be sharing an Apple ID with anyone. Apple IDs are personal; they shouldn’t be shared any more than you would share a toothbrush. If you share an Apple ID with someone else many bad things will happen. Each user should have their own Apple ID, then you can create Family Sharing→What is Family Sharing? - Apple Support. That way you can share what you want to share and not share what you don’t want to share.

It is OK to share an Apple ID among devices used by one person, such as an iPhone, an iPad and a Mac; in fact, it is a very useful thing to do. But not between devices used by different people.

Here is Apple’s FAQ: https://appleid.apple.com/faq/#!&page=faq. See the 4th bullet item.

You can’t add storage to an iPhone; it will never have more storage than it did when you bought it. What you bought (or actually rented) is iCloud storage, which is used for syncing and also for backing up. But it doesn’t add any capacity you your phone. See→What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support for details.

Sharing storage with 2 devices using the same Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.