Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro M1 - Occasionally Cannot Click or Type, But Mouse Cursor Moves

On my M1 MacBook Pro, I am facing an issue where the laptop doesn't appear to be frozen (i.e., video still playing, mouse cursor moves, etc.) but it stops responding to keyboard input and trackpad clicks (including the USB keyboard, the external Magic TrackPad 2, the built-in keyboard, and the built-in trackpad). Additionally, I can push the power button to lock the screen and the fingerprint sensor does unlock the screen.

This has happened across multiple versions of Big Sur, and I am currently on the latest 11.6 version. Once this occurs, my only recourse is to hold the power button and reboot.

Any ideas? Seems like a software issue, but haven't figured out what.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 11:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 11:15 AM

chapmanjw wrote:
Occasionally Cannot Click or Type, But Mouse Cursor Moves

On my M1 MacBook Pro, I am facing an issue where the laptop doesn't appear to be frozen (i.e., video still playing, mouse cursor moves, etc.) but it stops responding to keyboard input and trackpad clicks (including the USB keyboard, the external Magic TrackPad 2, the built-in keyboard, and the built-in trackpad). Additionally, I can push the power button to lock the screen and the fingerprint sensor does unlock the screen.

This has happened across multiple versions of Big Sur, and I am currently on the latest 11.6 version. Once this occurs, my only recourse is to hold the power button and reboot.

Intermittent issues are the hardest to diagnosis—

You can try on the M1 reset equivalent is— Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal and test.

no resolve—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

reboot as normal and test

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2021 11:15 AM in response to chapmanjw

chapmanjw wrote:
Occasionally Cannot Click or Type, But Mouse Cursor Moves

Intermittent issues are the hardest to diagnosis—

You can try on the M1 reset equivalent is— Shut down, close the lid 30 secs+ , reboot as normal and test.

no resolve—Try a SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

reboot as normal and test

MacBook Pro M1 - Occasionally Cannot Click or Type, But Mouse Cursor Moves

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.