Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues using Kurzweil keyboard as midi controller.

Hello, everyone.

I am both new to MacBooks and Music on digital instances.

Just a couple of days I have bought a MBP M1, 2020, that I planned to start using with a Kurzweil SP2X keyboard through MainStage.

Before trying the big thing, I tested out an Impakt controller and a Yamaha E353 Keyboard. Both work and get recognized as soon as I plugged them in. Which does not occur with the Kurzweil keyboard.

Using USB, there is no activity nor sign of the keyboard being plugged into the laptop although it is indeed connected. Then, I bought one generic MIDI to USB cable, and when I used that connection, I do see the MIDI "interface" connected, I go to MIDI Studio and I can see it "highlighted"; however, MainStage or GarageBand won't take any command from the keyboard, like it is not connected.

Have been testing for these past days about what could be wrong, and the only thing I could think of is a compatibility issue with the M1 chip on the laptop.

The SP2X works when I plug it in to a MacBook Pro intel chip from 2012. Works perfectly fine (That MBP is running BigSur as well).

At this point, I think what I want to know for sure is if this issue is caused by the M1 chip, if there is (or not) any workaround or if I would need to buy a new controller, which ones are compatible?

Thanks all of you in advance.

Posted on Sep 21, 2021 8:58 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 24, 2021 2:09 AM in response to YoIsaza

Hello, guys.

Sorry for double posting.

Just want to see if anyone could help me out on this.

As I said, I just want to confirm if this is something I could fix, if it is an issue with the M1 chips or something.

Through USB alone it does not take this specific keyboard, but from midi-usb it tries to, at least midi studio recognizes it.

Any ideas? Should I get another midi controller?

Thanks

Nov 2, 2021 9:01 AM in response to YoIsaza

I have the same problem. my kurz works on a mbp late 2012, not on the m1.

do you have the latest kurzweil software update? am running v 1.10 (displayed when turning on).

from the kurzweil site "Though not all, most USB-MIDI issues are simply a matter of making sure you are running the most current OS on your SP2. Earlier revs may be limiting the platforms supported."

so, im downloading the update now.

Issues using Kurzweil keyboard as midi controller.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.