Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 and Battery

This iOS 15 update is absolutely draining my battery. I’ve restarted my phone. Closed all my apps. Nothing is working.

iPhone 8, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 12:49 PM

Black_Knight121 wrote: "...iPhone 6 (...) after charging it goes from 100% to 10% and turns off!!!"!

Does the iPhone 6 still have its original seven year-old battery? If so, what's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

...And is there an "Important Battery Message" there? [Ref: Apple]

Note that the long process of applying an iOS update can be "the straw that broke the camel's back" for a weak, aging battery.

õ¿õ¬

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 12:49 PM in response to Black_Knight121

Black_Knight121 wrote: "...iPhone 6 (...) after charging it goes from 100% to 10% and turns off!!!"!

Does the iPhone 6 still have its original seven year-old battery? If so, what's the Maximum Capacity % here?...

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

...And is there an "Important Battery Message" there? [Ref: Apple]

Note that the long process of applying an iOS update can be "the straw that broke the camel's back" for a weak, aging battery.

õ¿õ¬

Oct 27, 2021 12:59 AM in response to marciamia

I have an iphone SE 1st Gen. I recently updated to 15.0.2. and following day to 15.1 Battery is decreasing 1-2 percent per minute when 4G was enabled and a little slower when not. I restarted, reset network settings with no result, and still battery drains fast. I am obliged to have data off during the day and turn it on ad hoc. Battery is also getting hot some times. I cannot accept that reindexing needs so many days to finish. I think this is a software issue, I hope that it will be fixed. I also have an apple watch which I wanted to update to WatchOS 8 which is not possible with ios 14 so I had no other option than updating iphone. An ipad Air 2 also seems to have the same issue after updating to iOS 15 even though not so obvious as it has only WiFi and a much bigger battery.

Oct 28, 2021 2:51 AM in response to cghera

I too have an iPhone SE 1st Gen (which I bought new 3 years ago) with iOS 15 and the same battery drain issue. I’ve reset and restored the phone but it’s unusable unless I set low power mode and don’t use it except in an emergency. There seem to be problems with battery on iPhone 13 too so upgrading doesn’t seem to be an option and I’m reluctant to spend a lot on features I don’t need. If it wasn’t for the fact I have an Apple Watch I would move to Android. My partner has a Samsung phone, same age, but battery is fine, and her phone cost £179.

Oct 28, 2021 5:53 AM in response to aldous_h

Restoring my iphone was my last option but it seems it will not help based on your trial. I am actually αλσο stuck as I cannot longer go back to ios 14 neither can I buy a new phone. However if the issue exists in late devices there is a slight hope that it will be fixed. I hope it will. I am not so fond of Android to change.

Nov 7, 2021 10:03 PM in response to marciamia

I had this problem develop on my 12 mini over the last few months I had it - had to charge twice a day, after not having any issues for the first few months I had it. Got a 13 mini, and everything was fine for a while, but suddenly a few days ago battery drain jumped massively - I had been getting to the end of the day with about 50% battery life, but now I'm in the red before the end of the day, so close to 2x the drain as previously.

I've checked the Battery section of Settings, and whenever I'm not doing anything with my phone, the App Store is responsible for 75-92% of my battery use, often showing over 30 minutes of background activity in an hour with no screen-on activity at all. I've turned off all background updating for the App Store and the Watch App Store, but it has made very little difference. Because it's a system app, I can't completely turn off background updating for the App Store, so there's nothing else I can think to do.

Is anybody else seeing this pattern?

Nov 30, 2021 1:27 PM in response to Black_Knight121

My daughter has just ditched her X for my old XS Max the battery health had dipped below 70%.

I wouldn't expect a 6, which would have a few years head start on it, to still have a useable battery after that length of time.

I'd also have considered the value of putting a new OS on such an old piece of kit- just because you can doesn't mean you should.

iOS 15 and Battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.