Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 14.8 doesn’t sync messages with car

Hi all - I just upgraded to iOS 14.8. Now my text messages won’t sync with my car. I don’t have CarPlay. Any suggestions?

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 8:10 AM

Hi PammyP90064,

Unpairing/pairing your iPhone with your car stereo was a great step to try!

We understand you do not have CarPlay as you mentioned it earlier, but the steps in the previous message are the next ones to take, including making sure your iPhone is up to date with iOS 15.

When you're ready we recommend taking all of the suggested steps: updating to iOS 15, checking with your car stereo manufacturer for a firmware update, and testing another iPhone with your car stereo if possible

If the issue remains afterwards, we recommend contacting Apple Support here: Get Support

Have a good one!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2021 8:10 AM in response to PammyP90064

Hi PammyP90064,

Unpairing/pairing your iPhone with your car stereo was a great step to try!

We understand you do not have CarPlay as you mentioned it earlier, but the steps in the previous message are the next ones to take, including making sure your iPhone is up to date with iOS 15.

When you're ready we recommend taking all of the suggested steps: updating to iOS 15, checking with your car stereo manufacturer for a firmware update, and testing another iPhone with your car stereo if possible

If the issue remains afterwards, we recommend contacting Apple Support here: Get Support

Have a good one!

Sep 23, 2021 5:34 PM in response to PammyP90064

Hello PammyP90064,

While we're unsure of what you mean by your text messages not syncing with your car, especially since you mentioned not having CarPlay, we'd still like to help however we can.

You mentioned updating recently to iOS 14.8, but the latest version for your model is iOS 15. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. Just in case, here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

What exactly did you mean by your messages not syncing to your car stereo? The more details you provide, the better equipped we'll be to assist.

Any steps tried so far? Here are a few examples: restart, testing another iPhone with your car, checking with your car stereo manufacturer to see if there's a firmware update for it

Please keep us posted on the details above when you're ready. Take care!

Sep 23, 2021 11:29 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Les,

I don’t have CarPlay, so the link you shared isn’t helpful. Before the last iOS update, I could follow the steps outlined below and then my messages would appear on my cars display. The “Show Notifications” option is no longer available on my iPhone and my text messages aren’t showing up on my cars display. I’m including a picture of this as well. Please help 😊

iOS 14.8 doesn’t sync messages with car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.