Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Double. Spacing

Hello,

Ever since. yesterday, my (only a few years old) MacBook Air has been double spacing in between my sentences. at random times. As you can see, it has already happened a few times as I type this message. On google docs, it. does two spaces after every 4 words on average. On every other platform, it has been adding a period and a space in between words. within a sentence without my doing. I am not pressing the space bar twice nor leaving a long time in between words for it to automatically do that. I am very annoyed and did everything that previous answers have stated. My key repeat is off, I have no clue as to how to fix this problem, so please anyone give me some insight as to how to fix this problem.

-an annoyed college student

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Sep 22, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 10:52 AM

rkpappas12 wrote:

Hello,
Ever since. yesterday, my (only a few years old) MacBook Air has been double spacing in between my sentences. at random times. As you can see, it has already happened a few times as I type this message. On google docs, it. does two spaces after every 4 words on average. On every other platform, it has been adding a period and a space in between words. within a sentence without my doing. I am not pressing the space bar twice nor leaving a long time in between words for it to automatically do that. I am very annoyed and did everything that previous answers have stated. My key repeat is off, I have no clue as to how to fix this problem, so please anyone give me some insight as to how to fix this problem.

See if you qualify: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

you can try:

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2021 10:52 AM in response to rkpappas12

rkpappas12 wrote:

Hello,

See if you qualify: https://support.apple.com/keyboard-service-program-for-mac-notebooks

you can try:

How to clean the keyboard of your MacBook or MacBook Pro

Sep 22, 2021 8:10 PM in response to Green_Tea_Earl_Grey

👍🏽... except the part about FIPLAB Disk Aid and MacPaw's CleanMyMac X. These clean-up, speed-up apps are absolutely unnecessary on the Mac and often cause more trouble than they claim to prevent. These type of apps are neither required nor recommended for the macOS. CleanMyMac is just about the worst.

Most veteran users here in the Community, myself included, will advise the use of Malwarebytes if you suspect adware/malware because it actually is a solid product that works, is lightweight as software goes and doesn't cause problems. Cannot say that about the others.

If you already have other anti-virus, clean up or speed up apps installed, I would recommend that you uninstall them per the developer's instructions. Norton/Symantic, Kaspersky, Intego, et al... none are of much good use. Let the macOS protect itself without interference. It's really pretty good at it.

Please, also see these support documents:

click> Effective Defenses Against Malware (John Galt)- Apple Community

click> How to install adware (John Galt)- Apple Community

click> Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts…and other scams - Apple Support

Sep 22, 2021 7:09 PM in response to rkpappas12

Hey R K Pappas 12!

✣ First off, turn off your MacBook and try cleaning your keyboard keys (do NOT use water). Use a microfiber cloth, or the tube from your vacuum cleaner if you do not have a microfiber cloth. Make sure none of the keys have a sticky feeling. Sometimes a keyboard can even stick more to your keyboard if you frequently use it in a warm or humid outdoor climate. Then turn on your MacBook and type in TextEdit, to see if the same problem occurs.

✣ The next step that usually fixes any Mac is what I call the "Triple Loop Fixeroo".

First Loop : First Aid:

✣✣. Switch off your wi-fi and / or disconnect your Ethernet wire, and restart your Mac - AND upon hearing the jingle IMMEDIATELY press " cmd + r " (Command and R together and hold for 3 seconds). The Apple logo will appear with loading bar. Select your language first and press Next. Then select your drive and enter your password if it prompts you to do so. This section is called "Recovery".

✣✣ Choose Disk Utility. Now, be carefull and you're doing great, on the left vertical area of the Disk Utility window you will either see " Macintosh HD " or the name of your computer. Underneath it you will see something like "com.apple.os.update...", and underneath that you will see " Macintosh HD - Data" or the name of your drive.

✣✣ Click on the OS which is "com.apple.os.update..." - and the next step requires precision - click on "First Aid" in the top middle row of buttons on the right side. It has the Stethoscope above it. Then click "Run" and let the scan do its thing.

✣✣ Then apply these same "First Aid" steps to the "Macintosh HD - Data" or "Your Drive - Data" link below, by clicking on it and then choosing First Aid - and "Run".

Second Loop : Safety on, check

✣✣ After you run First Aid in Recovery, restart the computer by clicking on the Apple menu to restart your Mac. At the very second your startup jingle plays, press and hold the Shift key (either one) and wait until the Apple logo appears to let go.

✣✣ Login like you would normally - but wait there is now a longer loading time. You will need to login a second time (make sure your know your name in your login, too). The computer is preparing to startup in "Safe Mode". This is Apple's way of sending someone to vacuum and Clorox wipe your computer so that the bugs are dead when you go back to the normal startup (which I will mention in a bit).

✣✣ You Mac will flash, have streaks across the screen. I have seen purple and orange, blue and white lines on different Safe Boots, too. Sometimes during safe boots, the screen might even flash a few times, turn black, and then go into normal boot. Yes, things are a little slower when you boot up, but that is fine. After your Desktop is shown, you will want to Restart your Mac again. Click on the Apple menu and choose Restart.

Third Loop : Bambalam clean that RAM (or VRAM or PRAM)!

✣✣ Now, when you hear that jingle, get ready to do some intense button pressing:

With your left hand (at the same time as your right) : Press and hold: R

And with your right hand (same time):

Thumb on "cmd"

Index on "option"

Middle on "P"

The entire keys to be pushed and held, immediately are : P + R + cmd + option

✣✣ If pressed and held together correctly, the Mac will restart again - and this time the jingle will be on full volume. This means the RAM/VRAM/PRAM has been cleaned. You might want to close your windows if your are using an iMac as the jingle confirmation can be loud.

Now in this fourth startup, test your keyboard problem. If it still doesn't work, try the following:

Further Actions:

✣✣✣ Additionally, I would install either FIPLAB's Disk Aid or MacPaw's Clean My Mac X, to check for Malware or other simple "over-the-counter" bugs. Do some scans on each to discover and uncover.

✣✣✣ I would also recommend downloading Malwarebytes and Intego (do a full scan, too).

Don't worry you're doing great. I, too a long time ago was a college student, too. Take a deep breath, you can do this. Please write back if you need anything else, now go get that degree and accomplish your dreams!

Random Double. Spacing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.