Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will iPhone automatically add the area code where it is necessary?

Here in VA we will have to start to have to add the area code to all calls, even local calls. My contacts all have the area code added. Do I need to do anything if I use my contacts? I would think that if I am calling a local business that is not in my contacts I will have to add the area code. But what happens in Contact phone numbers? I have a iPhone 13 Pro Max on order.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2021 6:30 AM

If your region is moving to 10-digit dialing, you will need to add the area code into your contacts that don't have them.

For what it's worth, I've always recommended entering numbers in contacts using the full 10 digits.

1 reply

Will iPhone automatically add the area code where it is necessary?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.