Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After BigSur 11.6 Update, my Safari keep on instant crashing once open

Application Specific Information:

Crashing on exception: <UnifiedTabBarButton: 0x142f8b620>: invalid parameter not satisfying: isfinite(newOrigin.x)

This is in the problem report. I tried everything like holding shift key down/ force quit etc and still instant crash in a second.

Please help.

Im on 2020 M1 MacBook Air, still 3 months old new.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2021 6:41 AM

I tried the solution from unson1x without success. I then attempted to follow the instructions from Terza36, but searching for "windows.plist" in the containers folder resulted in 26 different windows.plist files.

For those who are not as tech-savvy, here is the exact pathway I took, following both the pathways mentioned by uson1x and Terza36.

Open the Finder >> press ALT(Option) >> Click GO in the very top bar menu >> select Libraries (without ALT(option) it will not appear).

From Libraries >> Search for "Safari" >> Click to open com.apple.Safari.savedState folder >> Delete the windows.plist file >> Open Safari

(Alternative long to find saved state folder: From Libraries >> Search for "Safari" >> Click to open com.apple.Safari >> Open Data folder >> Open Library Folder >> Open Saved Application State folder >> Open com.apple.Safari.savedState folder >> Delete the windows.plist file >> Open Safari)

This worked great for me. Hope it helps others out.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2021 6:41 AM in response to Terza36

I tried the solution from unson1x without success. I then attempted to follow the instructions from Terza36, but searching for "windows.plist" in the containers folder resulted in 26 different windows.plist files.

For those who are not as tech-savvy, here is the exact pathway I took, following both the pathways mentioned by uson1x and Terza36.

Open the Finder >> press ALT(Option) >> Click GO in the very top bar menu >> select Libraries (without ALT(option) it will not appear).

From Libraries >> Search for "Safari" >> Click to open com.apple.Safari.savedState folder >> Delete the windows.plist file >> Open Safari

(Alternative long to find saved state folder: From Libraries >> Search for "Safari" >> Click to open com.apple.Safari >> Open Data folder >> Open Library Folder >> Open Saved Application State folder >> Open com.apple.Safari.savedState folder >> Delete the windows.plist file >> Open Safari)

This worked great for me. Hope it helps others out.

Sep 27, 2021 6:29 AM in response to SafariKeepOnInstantCrashing

What helped to me is removing saved Safari windows state.

To remove it:

1. Open Terminal app
  2. Copy&paste this
rm /Users/ivanparfenchuk/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.apple.Safari.savedState/windows.plist

And hit Return.

This is on macOS Big Sur. If the file isn't there, try to search for windows.plist in other places

Sep 24, 2021 10:21 AM in response to SafariKeepOnInstantCrashing

There have recently been many reports of new problems with Safari. It seems that the recent Safari update has issues. Word has it that Apple knows about the problems and is working on a fix. I assume that it will be released fairly soon. In the meantime, use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome and they should work for you. Also, there are reports that reinstalling Safari and restarting the computer has resolved issues. I hope this helps.

Oct 4, 2021 5:17 AM in response to uson1x

You wrote with your own path, not everyone will understand that you need to find this particular file. Thank you very much, your method works!

If you need, open the Finder, press ALT(option), select Libraries, without ALT(option) it will not appear. In Libraries, find Containers and at the top of the search bar write the name of the windows.plist file and it will find this file. You can simply remove it.

Oct 7, 2021 2:18 PM in response to SafariKeepOnInstantCrashing

I went through this nightmare last evening, three days after upgrading to 11.6. Apple tech support was instrumental in resolving this. The upgrade is messing up some user account permissions on their Macs. Some terminal commands (provided by Apple) are required after setting up a test account to verify the problem isn't OS related. After permissions have been resent, the full upgrade has to be downloaded all over again.

Oct 13, 2021 3:26 AM in response to BrunetteBabe09

I have this same problem as of today. Safari window appears for a split second and then crashes. I tried to locate the com.apple.Safari.savedState folder and the windows.plist file but they are nowhere. I searched from "this mac" and "library" and the "safari" folder, nothing. I also did what uson1x suggested with the terminal app and there was a message "no such file or directory"

What to do?

Oct 17, 2021 12:46 PM in response to uson1x

Didn't work for me either. However, when I hit return, it replies with "override rw------- [user]/staff for /Users/[user]/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.Safari.savedState/windows.plist?"

I tried to reply with y and n, neither solved the problem.

But deleting the windows.plist file helped!

Thanks all!

Iris

Oct 20, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Terza36

Thank you! This was indeed easier. So I did a search within the Containers folder. It showed many windows.plist files. But selecting each one and reading the pathways, I figured which was for Safari. So, I deleted that. Now, Safari app worked! Finally. Thank you again. My daughter also experienced the same problem a few days ago. She tried following other’s recommendations but to no success. So, she just hoped Apple will fix it in their next updates. For me, I just got this issue yesterday. Thankfully I found this thread, and your suggestion. It really worked!

After BigSur 11.6 Update, my Safari keep on instant crashing once open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.