Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch cannot choose to Unlock iPhone

Unable to select ‘Unlock with Apple Watch’

Error Message : Unable to communicate with Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 8:41 AM

19 replies

Sep 24, 2021 3:55 PM in response to mixitloud

I had the same issue on my new iPhone Pro Max 13 (iOS 15) and Apple Watch 6 (OS 8). Tried all the tricks I could find on the google machine - hard resets, turn off unlock iPhone in watch app, erase and set up watch again, etc). What finally worked for me was erasing and setting up my new iPhone again. One difference between the two iPhone set ups was for the first one I chose not to continue using the iOS beta program I am on. In the second set up I choose to continue - so the configuration matched the one on my old iPhone. It worked. Not sure if the difference was continuing the beta program or if simply setting up my iPhone again. If you’re not in the beta program, maybe erasing and setting up both devices again will suffice. It is a tedious method of last resort but I couldn’t think of anything else to do.

I hope this helps someone with this same issue b

Sep 25, 2021 11:56 AM in response to innocentstriker

I have this too and with my iPhone 13 and Apple Watch 5. Apple advised for me to reset my watch which I think is shocking. Worked perfectly on my iPhone 11. Clearly an issue with the latest iOS. Severely disappointed in the support provided by apple. Especially given from reading here that other users with the same issue have reset their watch and phone which had no effect.

With the pandemic wearing a mask is still very much required so this feature has been a game changer.

Poor show Apple.

What happened during their testing and QA?

Please can a fix be deployed ASAP!

Sep 25, 2021 12:19 PM in response to Anele46

I have an iPhone 12 Pro and an Watch 5, they are updated to iOS 15 and watchOS 8. This function works for me most of the time.

Beta testing is done with the current devices, so it likely wasn't done with an iPhone 13 that no one had other than perhaps on a small scale with Apple employees and early iPhone 13 prototypes.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15; iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15  HomePods, audioOS 15 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Sep 25, 2021 2:04 PM in response to Dah•veed

I would hope that the testing by such a large company as Apple is not on a small scale and they should be testing existing functionality along with the new content.

I have seen others list that resetting the watch does not resolve the issue and to me is not an acceptable ‘workaround’.

Apple needs to get a fix out asap.

Sorry I appreciate your response. Just disappointed in Apple as have relied on this functionality since it was introduced.

Apple Watch cannot choose to Unlock iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.