Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios15 iPhone 13 brightens every dark photo

I just got the new iPhone 13 Pro. When I take a photo of a person in dark light, it takes the photo and looks good… but as soon as I view it in photos it automatically changes it to a bright photo like it’s in good lighting.

I’ve already turned off night mode, exposure down, etc. My iPhone 11 Pro could take good dark photos, so this should be even better. There seems to be no way to stop this. I’ve preserved settings and turned everything off, yet still it brightens every photo - and I don’t mean a slight adjustment.. it’s taking a dark photo and making it bright.

Please tell me how to fix this. It happens on both front and facing cameras.

Andrew

iPhone 13 Pro, 15

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 3:51 AM

I’m having the same issues with my iPhone 13 and it’s sooo annoying , the picture looks all bright and perfect before I take it and after I take it, it gets darker and bad. Have you found a solution 😭

kindly let me know

Similar questions

71 replies

Nov 2, 2021 8:22 AM in response to amcllelan

YES i am also experiencing this and it’s so frustrating!! the only work around I’ve figured out is making sure live photos is on and once I’ve taken the photo, editing and selecting a different “key photo” for the live photo. it’s agitating because every other frame in the live photo looks normal and how I would expect it to look before the phone auto adjusts the **** out of the brightness.

I really wish there was some way to turn off this over correction

Nov 7, 2021 8:29 AM in response to Roma_termini

So this is what helps:

turn raw on - that way you will have access to the unedited photo

after you take a picture and iPhone brightens it like crazy click on edit and you will see how photo will go back to its original state. In order to save it like that wimpy move the exposure setting to the left or right, doesn’t matter and then click on save and you will have an un-edited photo.

too annoying to do it on every photo, but at least it helps.

Mar 10, 2022 12:28 PM in response to S-Paula

Like just about every large company Apple has both formal technical support and an area where users can discuss technical issues with other users. And, like all of those other companies, Apple does not participate in any significant way in the user-to-user discussions, as that might inhibit the free flow of ideas. The formal name of this area is Apple Support Communities. The “Communities” should be a giveaway that this isn’t a formal support site. And if that doesn’t, the site itself is https://discussions.apple.com. The “discussions” is another giveaway.

Apple’s formal support can be reached several ways:

• Click on “Get Support” at the top of this page
  • Go to Apple Support

Note that both of the above have options to receive a callback or chat

About the only communications method not used by Apple support is inbound email, probably because the volume would be overwhelming, and separating the wheat from the chaff (or, to us engineers, a poor signal to noise ratio) would be almost impossible. 

Dec 23, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Alancito

Alancito wrote:

queenkofthenorth wrote: "...APPLE PLEASE FIX"
Although Apple administers this community, that doesn't include reading each of thousands of daily posts for possible feedback. However, Apple will "read all feedback carefully" here:

iPhone Feedback

õ¿õ¬

That is a great way of explaining ASC. I’m going to plagiarize it, if that’s OK with you.

Jan 31, 2022 10:49 AM in response to dr-popsicle

dr-popsicle wrote:

TO APPLE SUPPORT AND TECH GUYS: MAY I ASK YOU APPLE PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE I BEG YOU TO TURN THIS CRAP OFF? I WAS BOUGHT A 13 PROMAX FOR 1350 EUROS IN CASH AND I CAN NOT MAKE A GOOD PHOTO WITH IT IN LOW LIGTH!!! WE DO NOT NEED THIS! ASK ANY 13 PRO USER! PLEASE JUST LET US DECIDE TO USE IT OR NOT. MAKE A BUTTON IN THE CAMERA SETTINGS OR WHAT EVER BUT DO SOMETHING WITH IT. AUTO BRIGHTNESS AFTER MADE A PHOTO??? SERIOUSLY? COMMON GUYS?!?

PLUS. the selfie camera make/turn you an alien with tiny face. seriously guys. did you checked before release?

To someone whose CAP LOCK key is broken:

THIS IS A USER-TO-USER FORUM WITH NO REAL APPLE PARTICIPATION. THUS, NO APPLE SUPPORT OR APPLE TECH GUYS WILL SEE YOUR POST; IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME.

Although Apple administers Apple Support Communities, that doesn't include reading each of thousands of daily posts for possible feedback. However, Apple will "read all feedback carefully" here: https://apple.com/feedback

Sep 26, 2021 6:40 AM in response to amcllelan

Hello amcllelan,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

To confirm, does this happen with the Camera? Or is this happening with third party apps? If using one, try the other.

Also, is this happening right after taking photos with the camera or is it changing it when opening older photos too.

Make sure you've done a restart and that you're using the latest iOS version:

Restart your iPhone Sometimes a restart can help resolve issues.

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

When viewing a photo to edit, what does your exposure, contrast and brightness settings show? Is it at 0 and does adjusting it help? Take and edit photos on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2022 9:16 AM in response to S-Paula

S-Paula wrote:

Please, please fix it Apple.

This is a user-to-user forum. Although Apple administers this Apple Support Communities site, that doesn't include reading each of thousands of daily posts for possible feedback. However, Apple will read all feedback carefully here: https://apple.com/feedback

Those of us old enough to remember “film” also remember Kodachrome film, which made all images brighter that what the photographer saw. So this isn’t anything new. In fact, Paul Simon even incorporated it into a song: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/paulsimon/kodachrome.html

Kodachrome

They give us those nice bright colors

They give us the greens of summers

Makes you think all the world's

a sunny day

I got a Nikon camera

I love to take a photograph

So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

Kodak’s alternative was Ektachrome, which produced truer colors (and had the advantage that you could develop it yourself; Kodachrome had to be factory-developed by Kodak).

Ios15 iPhone 13 brightens every dark photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.