Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do the bars mean on the new iPhone Weather app?

I can’t quite put a finger on what the colored slider bars are on the new weather app 10 day forecast. I want to say it has something to do with temperature, air quality, or UV index but I don’t know which one and I’m dying to know! Thanks in advance!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 24, 2021 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 6:54 AM

The total with of all the bars are the temperature range for the weeks 10-Day high and low.

Each day's colored bar shows its portion of that day within the week.

Maybe this markup will help show what's happening.

72 replies

Dec 4, 2021 6:05 AM in response to rjellis28

With so many people having questions on this topic it’s obvious that the design is not intuitive nor easy to understand.

The purpose of the weather display should be to provide a quick look at the current weather and forecast. The fact that there are different interpretations of what these bars convey means the designers failed. When I ask people what the bars mean nobody seems to know and I generally get a shoulder shrug.

A simple weather display shouldn’t need lengthy explanations. Why fix something that wasn’t broken in the first place.

Nov 24, 2021 10:56 AM in response to tommyo53

@tommyo53 The daily morning and afternoon temps still appear. They're in the HOURLY FORECAST box that you see first. It's only when you scroll down to the next box (10-DAY FORECAST) that you see the new color-coded bars that add information in an elegant way.

It would be helpful if Apple provided a key to those 10-DAY FORECAST bars. Something like this:

• Length of the whole slider space = full range of temps over all 10 days
  • Length of each colored bar within the slider = relative size of the temp range for that day within the full 10-day range
  • Position of each colored bar = actual temp range within the full 10-day range
  • Color of each bar = blue is coldest (I think), green warmer, yellow warmer still, orange very warm, red (I presume) hot

Dec 1, 2021 1:38 PM in response to cbhfan88

Seriously this is so... Frustrating. If you're going to keep this "feature," it might be useful to have a kind of tooltip feedback if I tap on the bar, trying to figure it out.

I was hoping that it had something to do with the rain chance %, showing when, during the day to expect said rain.

Here in the Pacific NW especially in the fall, the intra-day temp differences are very small, so the bars are short. And the bar placement looks weirdly random.

Also in the PNW, we get a lot of rain this time of year (fall), and the temps are cool, so I just thought the blue bars were rain related, which would actually be helpful, to know when during the day one might expect precipitation.

Dec 14, 2021 8:49 PM in response to SamRicho1

Agree. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out the color bars by comparing different cities’ temperature ranges for the day (a 24-hour period). The problem seems to be that the variable color bar, both in length and placement, does not reflect a 24 hr period, which the numerical range does. 45 low—75 high for example represents the expected temperature range over the 24-hour period of that day. The color bar however is longer or shorter, but relative to what? Furthermore, the shift left or right indicates perhaps that the temperature range happens in less than the 24 hour time span. But why shift it left or right like it’s some kind of volume slider? Each bar should simply be colored in the full length of the bar and change as a gradient from coolest part of the day to warmest and back to coolest. That goofy little white dot should then be positioned along the 24-hour color bar to indicate approximately when the highest temperature for the 24 hour period will be reached. I’m exhausted just trying to write about this ineffective graphic.

Dec 5, 2021 9:35 PM in response to cbhfan88

I will say, it’s convenient for packing for travel. Before I go out of state I mentally map out each day’s weather, sometimes writing it down, since the weather can be particularly volatile depending on the state and time of year. That way, I know what outfits, jackets, umbrellas, tents, etc. to bring. This takes care of that for you. I don’t know if it’s worth all the confusion, but is cool for that use.

Dec 16, 2021 9:23 AM in response to FluffyWhiteWolf

The “day low” number is in the spot where the “week low” label should be. We read the numbers as the endpoints of the range, as we all learned was proper in math class.

Furthermore, the distances to the end of the range are inconsistent if you are looking at Celsius. Presumably the graphic is generated in Fahrenheit. That makes it even harder to decode.

Dec 8, 2021 6:46 PM in response to cbhfan88

Regarding the weather app that appeared when I updated to IOS 15.1: The weather bars in the 10 day forecast do not make sense for the current day. Example here in Mpls it's currently 20 F. Under 10 day forecast, the bar for today shows min of -1 to max 23, which is correct. The blue part of the bar fills the left half of bar, -1 to about 10 with a little yellow dot slightly to the left of middle- that make doesn't make any sense. It always seems to be wrong for current day. For the next day the temp range is min 21 to max 38, but with a light blue bar in right hand 1/3 of the bar. That also makes no sense to me.

What do the bars mean on the new iPhone Weather app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.