Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting and reinstalling email

My iPhone 6 told me it could not delete two emails. In the past, I solved this problem by deleting and reinstalling the email account, so I just did that. Now I cannot reinstall the Outlook account (actually a hotmail account). When I tap “Outlook” to reinstall it, before anything else happens, I get a message saying it is unable to verify account information. But I haven’t entered any information! Underneath that notice, I get a box showing mail, contacts, calendars, and reminders, all showing the green dot indicating they are turned on. I have turned my phone on and off a few times, to no avail. I have the same account in my iPad, and am using it for this message. Everything is fine with the email there. I am able to do everything I want on the internet and with the apps I have, but I am an old guy (78), not tech savvy. I would be grateful for any help.

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 8:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2021 9:27 PM

dennis218 Said:

"Deleting and reinstalling email: Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I can’t follow your advice. As I said, I deleted app, so it is no longer showing up on my iPhone. If I click on the mail icon, I get a list of email providers to chose from (I get the same list if I tap “add account”under Settings). The instant I tap on Outlook.com in that list[...]"

-------

Try Other:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Passwords & App Passwords
  3. Tap: Add Account
  4. Tap: Other
  5. Use the App Password for the password.
11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2021 9:27 PM in response to dennis218

dennis218 Said:

"Deleting and reinstalling email: Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I can’t follow your advice. As I said, I deleted app, so it is no longer showing up on my iPhone. If I click on the mail icon, I get a list of email providers to chose from (I get the same list if I tap “add account”under Settings). The instant I tap on Outlook.com in that list[...]"

-------

Try Other:

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: Passwords & App Passwords
  3. Tap: Add Account
  4. Tap: Other
  5. Use the App Password for the password.

Sep 25, 2021 10:55 PM in response to dennis218

"How can I mark something as “read” when it doesn’t seem to exist? The email icon has a “1” on it, and when I open the icon, at the bottom it tells me there is one unread message. I can’t find an unread message."

-------

Try the Following:

A. Finding the Message:

View the Mailbox to which this pertains.

B. Visit outlook.com

Log on to outlook.com, and see what this is. Consider performing this on a computer, as it would be more user friendly doing so.

C. Perform a Restart:

Try Force Restarting your iPhone. Save any information that need be. Then perform the restart. Go Here: Force Restart iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 25, 2021 8:52 PM in response to dennis218

dennis218 Said:

"Deleting and reinstalling email: My iPhone 6 told me it could not delete two emails. In the past, I solved this problem by deleting and reinstalling the email account, so I just did that. Now I cannot reinstall the Outlook account (actually a hotmail account). When I tap 'Outlook' to reinstall it, before anything else happens, I get a message saying it is unable to verify account information.[...]"

-------

Using Microsoft Outlook?:

Try a new App Password. While in Hotmail...

1. Go To: User Name: (Top-Right)
  2. Click: View Account (Second Option Down)
  3. Click: Security (third tap in from top-left)
  4. Click: More security options (Far-Right)
  5. Click: App passwords (Third Pane Down)
  6. Create: a new app password
  7. Click: Done button

Use the app password provided for a synchronized app

Note:

You might need to chat with Microsoft about this. So, Go Here: Contact Us - Virtual Agent - Microsoft Support

Sep 25, 2021 9:21 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I can’t follow your advice. As I said, I deleted app, so it is no longer showing up on my iPhone. If I click on the mail icon, I get a list of email providers to chose from (I get the same list if I tap “add account”under Settings). The instant I tap on Outlook.com in that list, I get the message saying “Unable to verify account details”. I can’t try a new password because I have no email on my phone. I still have the outlook hotmail account on my iPad, but nothing on my phone. Thanks for the link to Microsoft. If I can’t get this fixed by myself, and no one else here in the community can help, I will contact them. I appreciate your time.

Sep 25, 2021 10:10 PM in response to dennis218

dennis218 Said:

"Deleting and reinstalling email: Okay. I did that, and it reinstalled the hotmail account for me. The only problem now is that it tells me I have an unread email, but I don’t! But you have helped me fix my original problem. At least I can get my email on my phone now😊. Thank you for your help."

-------

You are welcome.

Mark it as "Read". That should fix it.

Sep 26, 2021 8:38 PM in response to TheLittles

Bottom line is that it is still stuffed. Tried your suggestions, including the forced start, but nothing worked. I tried “reset all settings” but that did nothing either. Microsoft help was no use, because its FAQs don’t cover my problem. This makes no sense. I will take the phone to a repair shop ans see if they can do anything. If not, I will do the “erase all content and settings”, and maybe that will help. Hopefully I will not lose too much, since almost everything on the iPhone is on my iPad too. Will lose data on WhatsApp, but I can live with that. Thanks for trying to help.

Deleting and reinstalling email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.