Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Mackbook M1 purchase received an Apple TV+ free for a year, but literally nothing is free there, why it is like that?

Hello,

I received an email where is written the following:

"Your new Apple device includes Apple TV+ free for 1 year", so registered and left all my bank details

and wanted to watch what Apple TV offers, but it was a big disappointment to see that absolutely every movie has a fee. I do not understand this service. Why Apple is saying that I will get everything for free, but nothing is free?

Can anyone explain what this means?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 9:47 AM

The free subscription is for Apple TV+ (note the "+"); that is Apple's streaming service. It does not include other content that can be purchased on Apple TV.

To see what is included in Apple TV+, see: Apple TV+ - Apple

4 replies

Sep 27, 2021 6:25 AM in response to FoxFifth

Such a disappointment.

Are there really people who pay a monthly fee for only 20 available movies and some strange shows while there is Netflix for the same price with an unlimited number of offers?

The only thing I found interesting is the Movies section of European Cinema, but there every movie costs so much. In my country, the price of a ticket to watch similar movies in a Cinema theater is much lower.

Interestingly, does Apple know that there are users live outside of America, where prices are completely different?

Sep 27, 2021 9:56 AM in response to laimavai

The current selection would be 20 movies and around 42 series/specials, with more added each month. It isn't meant as a competitor to Netflix, but to be honest that costs a lot more (in Canada Apple's costs $5.99, while Netflix costs $15 and $19 for the HD and 4K plans respectively..Europe's price for this service is 4.99). Also, Netflix has been around and had a chance to build up it's library, during it's first few years it didn't have much either.

If you are looking outside of Apple's service then those are prices for rental or purchase, which are set by the studios and quite comparable between digital storefronts. Cinema and rentals would be more equivalent as they are a fee for a one time viewing, home rentals will only cost more if it's a film that is still in theatres. Purchases will always cost more as you are now owning that title.

Bottom line. If you were getting it for free then you really have nothing to lose and can simply stop it before you are billed.

After Mackbook M1 purchase received an Apple TV+ free for a year, but literally nothing is free there, why it is like that?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.