You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inflight streaming not working on American Airlines.

I have been having issues with streaming the inflight movies on American Airlines, using their app and connected to their Wi-Fi, while on airplane mode. The buffer sign loops endlessly and would never work. I two separate iPhones, and an iPad Pro 2020, non of them worked. All of my devices have the lates firmware updates. I travel all the times and long flights without being able to stream. The commercials would play at times and never the movies, it doesn’t matter the selection. Any suggestions?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 11:26 AM

27 replies

Sep 27, 2021 11:41 AM in response to Noolah2

Hi Noolah2, 

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. 

We understand that you’re iPhone and iPad are having issues streaming while connected to a Wi-Fi network and we’re happy to help! 

If your iPhone and iPad is having a problem while connected to a Wi-Fi network, then you should follow the steps found in the Apple Support articles below: 

If the American Airlines app on your iPhone and iPad is still not working as expected, then follow these steps: If an app on your iPhone or iPad stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Oct 17, 2021 4:23 AM in response to WearyTravelerWhy

Please people, know what you are talking about if you want to help. I’ll pay someone $200 so this doesn’t happen again.

you go to the app, it asks you to sign on to the designated WiFi, you are prompted to aainflight .com.

lawrence finch I appreciate your input I really do, but look back through the thread, safari vs chrome is not an app issue. Those are web browsers, My seat neighbors had an android and no issue, the other had an iPhone, and issue.

Buy a plane ticket today and put your money where your mouth is. I’d love to YouTube this live if you want to keep spouting lies.

the app will prompt you to aainfllight.com - that’s not an “app” when it clearly opens n a “web browser”

please be post a ticket if the last time you were in a plane, because your data while well intended has nothing to do with today.

Oct 7, 2021 12:40 PM in response to Norbert1982

I had the same issue twice this week in cross country flights. I type this while on the current fight. One of the flight attendants said that Apple devices have been having issues connecting to aainflight.com entertainment in Safari or Chrome. ALL apple devices. We can open the website but then not stream the movies through the Viasat location. This is definitely an issue between Apple and how Viasat works on iOS devices.

Oct 15, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Noolah2

I flew yesterday on 2 American Airline flights yesterday 10-14-21, same issue, the trailers would run & the same Marriott commercial would run, but when it got to the movie, it would not play. I also loaded Google Chrome thinking it was the browser and it was worse and would not work at all. I am using the newest IOS 15.0.2 on both my iPhone & iPad and both would not work. Luckily I had my PC Laptop and it worked.

Oct 16, 2021 7:58 AM in response to Rrosley

I have had 6 flights with the same issue, the commercials and trailers do play on my IPhone 12, IOS 15.01 but movies won’t play, TV does work. I don’t know why American Airlines or Apple do not post an official message or do something to resolve this issue I suspect is affecting thousands of travelers around the world, please a little respect to your customers!! This has been happening for several months

Oct 16, 2021 1:21 PM in response to roldan274

Add me to the list of iOS users unable to stream with everything up to date. I would have gladly paid 100 more over two days of traveling to see some movies. Especially since I work 6 days a week in the middle of a desert.

And to all those saying it’s the app, you are redirected to a website via the app… it’s a web based interface.

if you do not know what you are talking about please don’t add to the noise.

Oct 16, 2021 1:24 PM in response to WearyTravelerWhy

WearyTravelerWhy wrote:

Add me to the list of iOS users unable to stream with everything up to date. I would have gladly paid 100 more over two days of traveling to see some movies. Especially since I work 6 days a week in the middle of a desert.

And to all those saying it’s the app, you are redirected to a website via the app… it’s a web based interface.

if you do not know what you are talking about please don’t add to the noise.

You should not be redirected to a website. If you are the app is broken.

Oct 17, 2021 5:43 AM in response to WearyTravelerWhy

In an effort to help Apple/AA troubleshoot, I experienced the following this week with my iPhone 13 with iOS 15.0.2. Movie streaming working on Airbus airplanes without in-seat device holders. Movie streaming NOT working on Boeing airplanes with in-seat device holders. My bet is there is something with the security settings on the newer planes’ WiFi that is incompatible with iOS 15.

Oct 18, 2021 5:40 PM in response to Djjerzeyjeff

Djjerzeyjeff wrote:

In an effort to help Apple/AA troubleshoot,

Except posting in this user-to-user forum will not help either Apple or AA troubleshoot anything, as neither reads the forum for insight into issues. Use the Get Support link at the top of this page to discuss the issue with Apple; they might contact AA if they suspect an app problem. And the more users who contact apple the better.

Nov 24, 2021 7:53 PM in response to DawnEve

I just flew on AA this week and experienced the same issue except with a twist. My work phone, and iPhone Xr running IOS 15.1, worked flawlessly in playing all content. My personal phone, an iPhone 13 Pro Max also running IOS 15.1, had the same symptoms as others where the ads play but movies or TV don't play.

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 3, 2021 8:30 PM in response to UMCane95

I was at a local medical office today and saw a sign posted that video appointments through their medical app no longer worked since the 15.1 update and that Apple knew of the problem and it would be fixed in 15.2. Sounds like a similar issue to the plane issue. Apple needs to lite a fire and get the next update pushed out. Thanks

Dec 13, 2021 7:50 AM in response to Djjerzeyjeff

Can confirm this issue. My updated iPad would not work. If I reset everything, it would log in but stop before playing show and show no internet connection. My non updated iPhone did well, although occasional can’t play live shows popped up, but if I chose another show it did work. This was on Dec 12. Wish I had known the problem as my iPhone updated when plugged in last night.

Inflight streaming not working on American Airlines.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.