Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos hangs when switching RAW/JPG masters

I use Photos on the Mac to manage photos I take with my mirrorless camera, a Fujifilm X-T20.

The workflow until today was more or less flawless:

Import photos from an SDXC card (UHS-I) in JPG+RAW, and then switch to RAW original in Photos.

Today, Photos just hangs when I try to switch original to RAW. Tried with one photo, 3 photos and more. Just hangs with the waiting window:

Normally the operation requires 10 seconds or so for a bunch of photos.

Since I have 25,000+ photos, I am using Photos on iCloud.

The only way to stop the operation is to Force Quit out of Photos.

Would love any ideas or recommendations.

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 10:31 AM

Glad to report that I figured out the solution to this issue.

On my Fujifilm camera the RAW image processing was set to 'Lossless compressed' [Mental note, teenage son not to touch camera again]. It appears the Photos app likes photos in 'Uncompressed' RAW setting.

Once I made that change, Photos was again able to switch RAW/JPG masters in seconds.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2021 10:31 AM in response to yzukerman

Glad to report that I figured out the solution to this issue.

On my Fujifilm camera the RAW image processing was set to 'Lossless compressed' [Mental note, teenage son not to touch camera again]. It appears the Photos app likes photos in 'Uncompressed' RAW setting.

Once I made that change, Photos was again able to switch RAW/JPG masters in seconds.

Photos hangs when switching RAW/JPG masters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.