Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Default in Contacts for phone number

Many of my contacts have more than one phone number. I have IOS 14. The problem doesn't seem to be addressed in IOS 15. The directions for IOS 14 say to click the default under the contact's name and shows an image of the "default." However, neither my daughter's or my phone show anything.

How do I set the default. The directions provide for it, they are just wrong or so it seems.

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 12:13 PM

The 'default' function you are referring to, is for iPhones dual SIM iPhones with both SIM card active. It allows you to choose which line (SIMCard) should be used as default to call or text person. This option has nothing to do with how many phone numbers you have saved under one contact card.

In other words, if you have two or more phone numbers saved under one contact card, to call the contact tap on the number you wish to call it.

If you want to text the person, when you tap the quick action 'Message' button appearing underneath contact name, that will bring you to the thread in Messages app you have started already when messaging with that contact. If you want to message the person to their other number, do a long tap (or tap and hold as some calls it), then then choose the number from the menu you wish to send the message to. Otherwise, in Messages app, tap new message and in "To" field type in the phone number you wish to send the message to.

In Phone app, you have Favourites tab, where you can add 'favourite' actions so when you go to the Favourites tab with single tap on the entry you can call the contact on selected phone number or to message the person on selected number (tap on that option will bring you to the Messages app).

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 12:13 PM in response to BossTipTop

The 'default' function you are referring to, is for iPhones dual SIM iPhones with both SIM card active. It allows you to choose which line (SIMCard) should be used as default to call or text person. This option has nothing to do with how many phone numbers you have saved under one contact card.

In other words, if you have two or more phone numbers saved under one contact card, to call the contact tap on the number you wish to call it.

If you want to text the person, when you tap the quick action 'Message' button appearing underneath contact name, that will bring you to the thread in Messages app you have started already when messaging with that contact. If you want to message the person to their other number, do a long tap (or tap and hold as some calls it), then then choose the number from the menu you wish to send the message to. Otherwise, in Messages app, tap new message and in "To" field type in the phone number you wish to send the message to.

In Phone app, you have Favourites tab, where you can add 'favourite' actions so when you go to the Favourites tab with single tap on the entry you can call the contact on selected phone number or to message the person on selected number (tap on that option will bring you to the Messages app).

Sep 27, 2021 10:18 PM in response to iW00

As I said in the original post, a contact may have more than one phone number. I want to set the default so when I message or whatever, the default is what appears. The iphone user guide for IOS 14 shows a picture. The picture shows under "Quickly reach a contact" that there is a caption called "default" under the contacts name. That caption is what one is supposed to click on to set the line one wants to be the default. Instead, it appears that one has to move numbers around in the contact list so the first one or last one used (can't remember) is the default. That's a crazy work around. Why doesn't it work per the user manual? https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/add-and-use-contact-information-iph3e0ca2db/14.0/ios/14.0 Apple has some 'splaining to do.

Sep 27, 2021 10:38 AM in response to BossTipTop

BossTipTop wrote:

The directions for IOS 14 say to click the default under the contact's name and shows an image of the "default."

How do I set the default. The directions provide for it, they are just wrong or so it seems.

Default for what? Can you point to the directions you are referring to that tells you what/how to set as default that doesn't work for you?

Default in Contacts for phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.