Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TouchBar customization menu choice is gray

When trying to customize the Touch Bar under Finder (or various applications) the choice Finder/View/Customize Tool Bar is grayed out.

So far, I've found a couple of older solutions that don't work with MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 on Late 2019 MacBook Pro.

I have tried Disk Repair with no positive results.

I cannot find the plists suggested by an earlier solution posted in this forum in 2017.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 27, 2021 6:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 3:24 PM

I found a solution... I don't know if it's thorough, but seems to do the trick for me... for now.

In System Preferences/Keyboard I had selected "Touch Bar shows: Expanded Control Strip".

I changed that to: "Touch Bar shows: App Controls".

I now have access to Finder/View/Customize Touch Bar.

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 28, 2021 8:37 AM in response to hnakedtuna

hnakedtuna wrote:

When trying to customize the Touch Bar under Finder (or various applications) the choice Finder/View/Customize Tool Bar is grayed out.

So far, I've found a couple of older solutions that don't work with MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.7 on Late 2019 MacBook Pro.

I have tried Disk Repair with no positive results.

I cannot find the plists suggested by an earlier solution posted in this forum in 2017.

Any thoughts?

Is your TouchBar working as expected otherwise..?

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all these are known to cause issues on the macOS

Does your experience change when in Safe Boot mode as a test?

SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

TouchBar customization menu choice is gray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.