Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 15 hot spot problems

My hot spot on my iPhone 12 won’t connect to my Surface since I upgraded to iOS 15.

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 11:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 11:56 AM

The problem is that iOS15 only supports WPA3. The older Surface Pro 3 wifi driver does not allow for WPA3 connection.

You need to MANUALLY update the Surface Pro 3 wireless driver so it will allow WPA3 connection. The drivers will not pull in through the normal updates because Microsoft does not update drivers for Surface Pro 3's anymore. I found the driver for our SP3's here: Microsoft Update Catalog (the 2nd item down in the list).

If you are not sure if you can do this update - do not proceed! Call your local IT friend to help..

This will update the driver for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller to version 15.68.17015.112

If you do not see the 'Marvell AVASTAR Wireless..' device, do not proceed with the following...

Download and extracted the drivers to a folder. Microsoft Update Catalog (the 2nd item down in the list)

Open device manager --> Network adaptors and right click on the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller

Click on 'Update Driver'

Then click on 'Browse my computer for drivers'

Then browse for the folder you created with the extracted downloaded driver files:

When it is done updating - reboot and you should be able to connect to your iPhone/iPad iOS15 Hotspot.

23 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 11:56 AM in response to Cfors

The problem is that iOS15 only supports WPA3. The older Surface Pro 3 wifi driver does not allow for WPA3 connection.

You need to MANUALLY update the Surface Pro 3 wireless driver so it will allow WPA3 connection. The drivers will not pull in through the normal updates because Microsoft does not update drivers for Surface Pro 3's anymore. I found the driver for our SP3's here: Microsoft Update Catalog (the 2nd item down in the list).

If you are not sure if you can do this update - do not proceed! Call your local IT friend to help..

This will update the driver for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller to version 15.68.17015.112

If you do not see the 'Marvell AVASTAR Wireless..' device, do not proceed with the following...

Download and extracted the drivers to a folder. Microsoft Update Catalog (the 2nd item down in the list)

Open device manager --> Network adaptors and right click on the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller

Click on 'Update Driver'

Then click on 'Browse my computer for drivers'

Then browse for the folder you created with the extracted downloaded driver files:

When it is done updating - reboot and you should be able to connect to your iPhone/iPad iOS15 Hotspot.

Nov 13, 2021 3:27 PM in response to Cfors

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your detailed answer. Just to add to this thread that not all iOS devices that can be upgraded to iOS15 support WPA3.

My experience with an iPhone 5 trying to connect to a hotspot on an XR it fails while at the same time it is connecting to an iPhone7plus. I’ve still been lazy to fire up Wireshark and give more details, hopefully I’ll do it and share my findings here.

Cheers

I.

Dec 9, 2021 8:19 PM in response to Cfors

Jack, I downloaded the driver mentioned and installed and rebooted. My surface pro3 will still not connect to my Iphone hotspot. When i checked, in command promt, to list my drivers, it still listed as only WPA2. I do not know what I am doing wrong. Any help in the download and extraction process would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Cfors

Hi Cfors,

Thanks for coming to Apple Support Communities for help today with your iPhone Personal Hotspot and Surface connection.

Have a look at the steps here: If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular).

Do any other devices connect? This would help isolate the issue to your iPhone or the Surface.

Have a fantastic day!

Oct 28, 2021 5:07 PM in response to jack123654

Hi Jack,

Having the same issue on an MS SP3 and MS SP6 connecting wireless hostspot with IOS 15

I've checked in Device Manager and confirmed the wireless driver is Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-AC Network Controller.

I tried downloading the file you mentioned from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=15.68.17015.112

I couldn't download it at all in Chrome.

I switched over to Firefox and am able to download the file but it downloads as a .cab file:

091062e0-383d-4488-a428-e85681fd15c4_83ec5673d18fd489d765700b3df82e74391278e5.cab

When I double click on the above file there are three files inside:

• mrvlpcie8897.cat
  • mrvlpcie8897.inf
  • mrvlpcie8897.sys

Am i correct in saying that mrvlpcie8897.sys is the file that needs to be used as the driver in the steps you provided?

Anyone's input would be much appreciated.

Nov 10, 2021 5:32 AM in response to BelaE

May have been just lucky, but I was able to fix the issue on a Surface Pro 6 by updating the drivers and firmware manually:

Went to site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=57514

Ran winver command on the device to get the OS build version installed on it

Chose the download option that matched the OS build on the device

Downloaded, rebooted, and was able to use the iPhone hotspot without any issues

Oct 13, 2021 10:23 AM in response to Cfors

We have experience multiple Surface Pro 3s in our company not being able to connect to iPhone 11's and iPhone 12's running iOS15. We have even experimented with several iPhone 11 running iOS14.7 and the hotspot works, but as soon as it is upgraded to iOS15 the SP3s are no longer able to connect to the hotspot. The connection reads "Can't connect to this network".

Strangely we have 2 iPhone 11pro running iOS15 that will allow the Surface Pro 3 to connect.

Once again an Apple update broke something!

Oct 16, 2021 5:47 PM in response to jack123654

Same thing here. Even I reinstalled the whole windows 10 pro, and still no connection to iphone 11 pro max with ios 15. It works fine with my samsung but not with iphone. My other gaming laptop has no issue at all, it is a yoga legion new thing and it does connect to IOS 15 with no problem, thats why I started to dig around my surface 3 pro. Even I fresh installed windows 11 (there is way to do it) and same thing. There is something withing the communication between Surfacer pro 3 and IOS 15. This is apple issue not surface as it works with android phone.

Oct 28, 2021 6:49 PM in response to Mortimu5

Yup that’s the one. Today I installed win11 on Surface Pro 6 and it didn’t pick up IOS15 hotspot too BUT after installing all the windows updates every single one it started to work, this driver won’t work with Surface pro 6.

Another thing I discovered: the other driver on that link is for Bluetooth, my SF3 keept dropping my BT mouse after 2-3 hrs, installed that driver to the BT Marvel and no more problem, works!

Nov 6, 2021 1:11 PM in response to Cfors

This drive update solution is all well and good but what about the older laptop. After updating my iPhone XS Max to iOS 15, I am not able to connect my Dell Inspiron 1525 (2008 model) to hotspot of my iPhone.

It gives “can’t connect to network” error. Unfortunately Dell also doesn’t provide support for Windows 10 drivers for this old laptop.

What are my options? I really need to give internet to this laptop while I’m travelling.

iOS 15 hot spot problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.