Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New email account defaults to POP

Hi All

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, and when setting up my email accounts one of them defaults to POP without giving me the option to select IMAP.

I currently have the email setup on other computers (PC and Mac) as an IMAP account, so I am confused why Mail is apparently foring me to use POP.

Any assistance in getting this account to IMAP would be great!

Thanks All!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 7:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 7:47 PM

tim79b wrote:

Hi All

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro, and when setting up my email accounts one of them defaults to POP without giving me the option to select IMAP.

I currently have the email setup on other computers (PC and Mac) as an IMAP account, so I am confused why Mail is apparently foring me to use POP.

Thanks All!

You do not say who is the email provider(?)

Gmail had some issue sort of like this, however it defaulted to IMAP typically since POP is the archaic protocol .

The trick was to stump the server with a bogus email address to get going—to reveal more options

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2021 7:47 PM in response to tim79b

tim79b wrote:

Hi All

Thanks All!

You do not say who is the email provider(?)

Gmail had some issue sort of like this, however it defaulted to IMAP typically since POP is the archaic protocol .

The trick was to stump the server with a bogus email address to get going—to reveal more options

New email account defaults to POP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.