Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail

Hi !

My question is: what can be done on my iMac to stop Apple Mail from bringing in my Earthlink e-mail account as imap when I set it up, it is a pop. account.

I have deleted my account in Apple Mail already and started over and got the same result and it WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO CHANGE IT to pop.

Using 10.13.6 for the first time, was using 10.11.

Thanks in advance for any help.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 30, 2021 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 4:49 PM

First, may I ask why you wan't the old outdated POP instead of IMAP?

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2021 4:49 PM in response to Kevin Moniz

First, may I ask why you wan't the old outdated POP instead of IMAP?

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Jun 1, 2021 6:48 PM in response to BDAqua

HI, thanks for the reply !

My problem was resolved by contacting Earthlink directly, but to the point, Apple Mail didn't even give me the choice of pop or imap which ticked me off and made my situation worse. I've used Mail since the first incarnation of OS X, and this is the first time that I've had a problem setting it up. Been an Apple user for almost 25 years.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance, It's greatly appreciated !!

Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.