Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 10.3 on Sierra and iMac refuses to let me add a POP type mail account (pop.earthlink.net) to my existing mail accounts. Regardless of what I do, it keeps resetting the account type back to IMAP

Mail 10.3 on Sierra and iMac refuses to let me add a POP type mail account (pop.earthlink.net) to my existing mail accounts (I have a gmail IMAP account already there). Regardless of what I do, it keeps changing the account type to IMAP and the hostname to imap.earthlink.net.

Furthermore, there is NO account type entry field in any of the setting windows where this can be directly entered.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.12

Posted on May 30, 2021 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 6:43 AM

Can I ask why ancient POP instead of modern IMAP?

If you really want POP you'll have to trick Mail...

Domain

earthlink.net

mindspring.com

onemain.com

POP Server

pop.earthlink.net

pop.mindspring.com

pop.onemain.com

SMTP Server

smtpauth.earthlink.net

smtpauth.earthlink.net

smtpauth.earthlink.net

SMTP requires authentication

YES: Complete EarthLink email address and password

YES: Complete MindSpring email address and password

YES: Complete OneMain email address and password

SMTP Port

This may still work...

Go through setting everything up to a Fake Server, none of the Apple choices, replace the part after the @ sign with like @fakeserver.net when setting up this fake account, use all the right ports authentication, & passwords, wait for mail to say it failed do you want to save this account anyway, say yes, then you can go back in & edit the 2 servers to Earthlink.net or smtpauth.earthlink.net, or whatever instead of @fakeserver.net

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2021 6:43 AM in response to Jeff Wiseman

Can I ask why ancient POP instead of modern IMAP?

If you really want POP you'll have to trick Mail...

Domain

earthlink.net

mindspring.com

onemain.com

POP Server

pop.earthlink.net

pop.mindspring.com

pop.onemain.com

SMTP Server

smtpauth.earthlink.net

smtpauth.earthlink.net

smtpauth.earthlink.net

SMTP requires authentication

YES: Complete EarthLink email address and password

YES: Complete MindSpring email address and password

YES: Complete OneMain email address and password

SMTP Port

This may still work...

Go through setting everything up to a Fake Server, none of the Apple choices, replace the part after the @ sign with like @fakeserver.net when setting up this fake account, use all the right ports authentication, & passwords, wait for mail to say it failed do you want to save this account anyway, say yes, then you can go back in & edit the 2 servers to Earthlink.net or smtpauth.earthlink.net, or whatever instead of @fakeserver.net

Jun 3, 2021 4:41 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you BDAqua. That did indeed allow me to get around Apple's screwed up mail configuration software. I actually contacted Apple about this and when they actually saw what I was dealing with, they were totally baffled. With your help I ultimately solved the problem myself.

Note that I was told during the conversation that I was going to have to just "live with it" (i.e., use iMap configurations) since Apple was also moving toward no longer supporting POP anymore (news to me!).

Re: your other question as to WHY use POP, I guess there are several reasons. My HD just crashed and my iMac is in the shop awaiting a new SSD :-) so for the week I'll be without it, I thought I would set up access to my account via my wife's iMac that uses the same OS and version of Mail. I have used the POP account at Earthlink for over 20 years now. It was while setting up the new account on my wife's machine that I ran into the issue with Apple's Mail software.

My work flow is such that most of my emails get shuttled off to other mail boxes in my Mail client. I have over 50 of them and I do get into each of them on a regular basis. Since I run my own backups on my iMac, I am in control of ALL of my email history. Also, by doing things this way I never have to worry about running out of space on the iMap server (many of my emails contain technical diagrams and attached documents). I can also get to those emails for reference even when the internet or my mail servers are down.

Also, on my iPhone 5s, I'll got very little screen space to work with and trying to support 50 mailboxes in the Mail client there is very difficult.

Although I was able to set up a POP account now on my wife's computer, since this is temporary, I changed it back to an iMap configuration to see how things go. When I get my computer back, I'll decide then how to move forward.

Thanks again for the assist!

• Jeff

Mail 10.3 on Sierra and iMac refuses to let me add a POP type mail account (pop.earthlink.net) to my existing mail accounts. Regardless of what I do, it keeps resetting the account type back to IMAP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.