Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't set up a POP email account

I am moving to a Mac mini M1 on OS Ventura 13.2.1 from a Mac Pro 2010 on OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and am trying to set up my Earthlink email address as a POP account. The Earthlink mail server limits you to 100MB of storage so I run out of space in days when using IMAP. I hoped to send pictures of my process but can't get them to show up here. To set up a new email address I go to Internet Accounts in settings, create a new account, put in my email address and password and then it just creates an IMAP based account, there is no option to set it up as POP. If I try to change the server to POP after the account is created I just get an error message. I will try talking to Earthlink but their support page for this is many years old.

Mac mini, 13.2

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 4:37 PM

badamsfx wrote:

I am moving to a Mac mini M1 on OS Ventura 13.2.1 from a Mac Pro 2010 on OS High Sierra 10.13.6 and am trying to set up my Earthlink email address as a POP account. The Earthlink mail server limits you to 100MB of storage so I run out of space in days when using IMAP. I hoped to send pictures of my process but can't get them to show up here. To set up a new email address I go to Internet Accounts in settings, create a new account, put in my email address and password and then it just creates an IMAP based account, there is no option to set it up as POP. If I try to change the server to POP after the account is created I just get an error message. I will try talking to Earthlink but their support page for this is many years old.

yes IMAP is the default, however

You can trick the interface—

enter a bogus address that does not resolve to open an extended dialog w/ POP option; then enter all your correct info.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 4:37 PM in response to badamsfx

badamsfx wrote:

yes IMAP is the default, however

You can trick the interface—

enter a bogus address that does not resolve to open an extended dialog w/ POP option; then enter all your correct info.

Mar 14, 2023 11:36 AM in response to leroydouglas

My good sir, you go above and beyond with your illustrated examples!

Interesting, it works now but did not work previously when I tried to illustrate my question that you answered. Thanks for getting me to take a second look at it. I did try saving an image online and accessing it through code but I must not have gotten the syntax right.

I can't set up a POP email account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.