You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro Wireless Charging Stops After Awhile

Is anyone else having issues wirelessly charging an iPhone 13 Pro? Every night the phone stops charging after awhile before hitting 100%. The most recent example shown in the image shows that the battery stopped charging after 2 hours at 75%.

I haven’t saved screenshots of the previous nights, so I can’t comment on how long and to what percentage the battery stopped being charged at; however, I decided to charged my phone without the case and it charged to 100%. Could it be that the case is too thick?

I am using a 15 W Belkin charger and a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case. I used the same charger with my iPhone 11 for over a year with no issues.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 28, 2021 11:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2021 3:44 AM

I have the same problem with an iPhone 13 Pro. Sometimes it stops charging after a minute or two and I wake up next day with something like 9% battery so it can't be an optimized battery thing. Currently, I have no solution for this, it just doesn't work.

48 replies

Nov 17, 2021 4:34 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Neither a car is designed to be a card reader, that’s what I meant, the spot where you put your phone for charging which also has nfc, is also working as an signal enhancement for the cellular connection in the Passat. Audis have the same issues and other manufacturers too… Thanks for your time and hopefully Apple will fix the bug for everyone soon

Oct 25, 2021 9:07 AM in response to Bcaprara36

When Apple changed to MagSafe charging on iPhone 12, the charging coil was repositioned and that also translates to iPhone 13. Unless you align the phone perfectly with the coil, previously used chargers often stop charging. Add to that the camera bump on iPhone 13 Pro phones, extends out further than your previous iPhone 11, the phone may not be fully touching the charging pad.

I finally moved over to MagSafe charging for our 13 Pros and it's simply fantastic, reliable and just works. I use the Speigen Quartz Hybrid case on both our phones.

Oct 25, 2021 10:04 AM in response to Stylers48

I have an even more expensive Mercedes and my 13 Pro Max won't even fit on the charging plate in my car. That's not Apple's fault. If it doesn't charge in your Acura, you need to complain to Acura.

Think about it. Apple can't know about every car company system out there. The car manufacturer needs to figure out what their customers use for phones and then design their systems to work with those phones. Apple has no influence or control over Acura, whatsoever.

Oct 25, 2021 2:54 PM in response to Bcaprara36

My brand new iPhone 13 Pro x2 and a Pro Max have the same issues. Won't charge at all on any of the Qi chargers I've been using with my previous iPhone XS phones. Same in our Toyota Camry and Prius - huge charging pads big enough for 13 Pro Max, phones will recognise the pads and the charging indicator will come on for about 2 seconds then go off.

Oct 25, 2021 3:33 PM in response to SlartibartfastNZ

It's frustrating on these older chargers, but the changes they made for MagSafe make many old chargers incompatible. Do yourself a favor and just move over to MagSafe. You don't even have to buy the official Apple version. There are more cost effective options you can find on Amazon. Just make sure you either buy with a 20W USB C brick or buy a 20W USB C brick if the charger you choose doesn't include one.

Since moving to MagSafe, I've not had a single charging issue. It's simple and it just works.

Nov 14, 2021 10:58 AM in response to Bcaprara36

I have the same problem in my VW Passat from 2021 and iPhone 13 Pro Max, also Apple Pay opens up. Apple said that they are working on a software solution and that it will be fixed by an update. They said that I should wait and be a bit longer patient, but to be honest I bought the expensive iPhone 13 Pro Max with the expectation for it to work.

Nov 17, 2021 10:10 AM in response to mumufcb

I know that my Apple Pay has come up because the branches of the charger in my car are at the same level as my side button, I guess the phone mistakes the pressure as a double-click to pay.

The thing is these chargers worked until last week. And when I retried with the horizontal charger, it only works for 1-2 seconds. That’s why I don’t get it.

Nov 17, 2021 11:31 AM in response to QNT02

It’s weird, at my car Apple Pay opens when I put the phone on the charger, without pressing any button or getting in contact with the buttons and charges for a few seconds, then it stops. Apple support said that this is a software problem and that it appears on many car manufacturers… They said that there will be a software update that fixes it. It’s s annoying…

Nov 17, 2021 11:39 AM in response to mumufcb

mumufcb wrote:

It’s weird, at my car Apple Pay opens when I put the phone on the charger, without pressing any button or getting in contact with the buttons and charges for a few seconds, then it stops. Apple support said that this is a software problem and that it appears on many car manufacturers… They said that there will be a software update that fixes it. It’s s annoying…

I wouldn't count on any update to do fix this. Since iPhone X first came out if a phone reaches a charger with uses NFC, it will open Apple Pay on any iPhone, because that's how Apple Pay works. Unfortunately, some car manufacturers have NFC tied to the charging system. That said, many manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes have a setting in the car system to let you turn off NFC in the car and if your car manufacturer permits that, you can turn off NFC in the car and your phone won't think it should open Apple Pay. Worst case scenario is you simply tap the power button on the side of the phone once and it will disconnect from Apple Pay and your phone will charge.

iPhone 13 Pro Wireless Charging Stops After Awhile

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.