Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 15: Steps count in Health app updating much more slowly

In iOS 14, the total Steps counter in the Health app would update quite frequently, several times a minute. It might have been every 10 seconds or so.

Now since upgrading to iOS 15, the Steps counter updates much less frequently. It can take minutes for the count to change. This makes it difficult to get an accurate idea of steps walked so far.

I have not changed any related settings since the upgrade. I see this on an iPhone 6S and an iPhone 12 mini. I am not using an Apple Watch.

If this is "just the way the new app is", does someone have a suggestion of another pedometer app that does update more frequently, even on iOS 15?

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2022 7:32 AM

You can still see Steps counter update in near real time. In the Health app, click on the ">" in the Steps tile. Scroll down to bottom of Steps page. Click on 2nd last item "Show All Data >". Next screen shows your recent daily step counts. The first one is today, and it updates in near real time.

Similar questions

15 replies

Nov 9, 2021 8:44 PM in response to dhalbert

This has happened in earlier IOS upgrades too. Apple wants to be able to quote improved battery life specs with the new OS (or cover up worse specs) so they reduce the frequency of reading the pedo chip, as as way to save power. Inconveniencing a community of users doesn't seem to be a concern.

Apple: If you're going to resort to this trick, please implement a switch in Settings so we can get our frequent step updates when we need them (at the expense of battery). At least it should be a user choice.

ios 15: Steps count in Health app updating much more slowly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.