Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Pro battery draining overnight

I got an iPhone 13 pro a few days ago.

When I leave my home for work at 8 am, the phone is at 100%. When I come back at 8 pm the phone is at 65% which is fine. I am using it mostly to listen music with spotify, listen some podcasts and some internet browsing.

When I come home, I'm charging it until midnight. At midnight, the phone is at 100% and I unplug it.

Yesterday morning at 7 am, the phone was about 45%. I heard that spotify consumes more resources with iOS15 so I have disabled background refresh for spotify .

Yesterday I redo the same thing but I have closed all applications and restart the phone.

This morning the phone was about 53%.

I need to replug my phone during one hour to get a full battery

The phone is consuming more battery during the night doing nothing.

At home, the phone is in the same room with two homepod minis, an ipad pro and with a 12 pro max. I migrate my data from the 12 pro max to the 13 pro.

At the office, there is no apple products.

I have the last version of ios installed on the phone

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2021 8:55 AM

Mario49,

Why the crap do you constantly “answer” questions that have a lot of detail with links to subject related “Q&A” posts by apple that clearly won’t help at all based off of the details already provided?

My guess is you are either:

A: A somewhat advanced spambot that looks for keywords then posts a generic comment linking any unhelpful Q&A pages that have the same keywords.

B: Someone who cares more about how many questions they “answered” than actually helping the person asking the question.

Similar questions

142 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2021 8:55 AM in response to mario49

Mario49,

Why the crap do you constantly “answer” questions that have a lot of detail with links to subject related “Q&A” posts by apple that clearly won’t help at all based off of the details already provided?

My guess is you are either:

A: A somewhat advanced spambot that looks for keywords then posts a generic comment linking any unhelpful Q&A pages that have the same keywords.

B: Someone who cares more about how many questions they “answered” than actually helping the person asking the question.

Sep 30, 2021 9:54 AM in response to nosleduc

Hello nosleduc,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We've reviewed your question and it looks like you are experiencing rapid battery drain with your iPhone. It's understandable that you'd want this resolved, so allow us to assist with that. Please start by taking a look at the following articles, which can help with this issue:

If you have follow-up questions, please let us know. We're here for you. Have a fantastic day!

Sep 30, 2021 11:14 AM in response to mario49

I understand that you need to send some basic help documentation about batteries but my problem is a little more complicated. My phone seems to work perfectly in daytime and not during the night

I am a software engineer and I think it is more related to the operating system or the phone itself (which is unlikely). My guess is the operating system. There is something specitic to my home. This morning the phone was at 46%.

I will retry today by shutting down the ipad pro and homepod mini to see they do not communicate during the night.

If it fails I will retry it by shutting down wifi and bluetooth.

Sep 30, 2021 12:14 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you for your answer.

Optimize Battery Charging is already activated. I do not have iCloud backup.

I was using my iPhone 12 Pro max like that without any issue and its battery capacity is at 95% today.

The huge drop with iPhone 13 pro means that the phone is doing something during the night. It consumes more power than using it in daytime.

Plugging the cable will indeed give me a phone at 100% at the morning, but it will hide the issue and the phone will still do some useless processing during the night.

I have disabled App background refresh on all applications, I will see the results tomorrow

Nov 2, 2021 12:47 AM in response to shreyas242

Charge it overnight. The absolute best way to slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates.

Nov 13, 2021 12:54 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence, thanks for pointing out that weak cellular signals would cause massive battery drainage! Your answer seems to have resolved the battery drainage issue i had this morning.

I went out to open sea fishing at 5am, came back at 1pm and my iPhone 13 Pro max only had 60% remaining. 😦 This got me wonder and worried as the total screen on time was only 90mins during these few hours out in the sea.

In the following screenshots, it shows that even though I only had 4 min screen-on time, 30% of the battery usage was used for “no mobile coverage”. The second screen shot further proves that 95% of the battery was used on “No mobile coverage” while I was further out in the sea.

Screenshot 1)

screenshot 2)

ill keep monitor the battery drainage issue tonight and hopefully weak cellular signal is the main problem for me.

To nosleduc: hope you can find out the root cause for your battery drainage soon 🙏🏼 I totally understand how you feel when your phone gets drained out without a reason.

Nov 14, 2021 4:30 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

The best solution is charge the battery overnight? Really? Is the same like if you say the the best solution for car with hole in the fuel tank is to refill more gasoline..

I think the best solution is to find the reason why the battery drains overnight so fast.

I understand 5-7% during 7-8 hours standby during the night, but 30-40%??

Do you guys try to erase all data and backup your phones from iCloud? Not Reset All Settings but Erase All Content and Settings?

Oct 2, 2021 12:44 AM in response to barberlives123

I have updated ios 15 to 15.0.1, I have also upgraded my apple watch 3 to watchOS 8.

I have shutdown all my apple devices except the watch

Today at 9 am, the battery was at 40%.

At work, the phone is not connected to wifi but only cellular.

As you can see in the following picture, I have charged to 100% at 1 pm and and get 70% at 7:30 pm after listening spotify all day and I watch a video youtube about 30 mm before coming home.

I charged it until midmight and then unplug it.

As you see, the slope of discharge is more important during night compared to daylight

I'm thinking an issue with my wifi or with cellular antenna around me

Jan 31, 2022 6:15 AM in response to nosleduc

Hey i also face the same problem. The battery keeps draining the whole night though it is on the flight mode and when i start using the phone yesterday i just used it for 1.4 hrs and lost 40% battery. Isnt this insane. Facing too many problems with the 13 pro. Have purchased with so many hopes and i am tensed to invest so much amount on it again. I will return the phone

Jul 17, 2022 7:29 AM in response to nosleduc

I posted in the MacRumors Forum and am posting again here. What’s really strange is that if the OS update is the issue then it doesn’t explain why my battery life has been great a month in 15.5. The sudden battery drain occurred just recently (3weeks ago) and there were no updates from that time. I’m certain of it because I set it to NOT automatically update.

I’ve been having battery drain issue for weeks so far. I literally tried everything I could and even made a troubleshooting list:

• location services off
  • Share location off
  • Reseted Apple Watch
  • Update Apple Watch OS
  • Logged out Apple account
  • Logged out iCloud
  • Restarted phone
  • Removed AirTags and AirTag batteries
  • Deleted some apps
  • iCloud log off
  • Toggle off wifi
  • Reset all settings
  • Factory reset phone
  • Find my off
  • Find my device off
  • Airplane mode turned on
  • Bluetooth off
  • Powered off my phone

None of the above solutions worked. I couldn’t believe that even when my phone is powered off it’s still drains. My battery drains 30-40% even when there’s absolutely nothing showing in the battery usage tab throughout the night. At this point my phone is no longer a smart phone. I’m very disappointed as this is an iPhone 13 which I got 6 months ago. The only option I have now is to bring it to Apple Store unless someone has another idea that I can add on the list. Please let me know lol. This is honestly such a time waster trying to figure this out.

Update:

Went to Apple store and rep said I need to use the computer to factory reset the iPhone since the computer freshly installs the OS onto the phone. She said not to restore from backup as well. Done all that but battery still drains.

Nov 16, 2021 5:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence - I've had my iPhone 13 Pro for about a week to 10 days now, and noticed this battery drain overnight.

• I'm charging it overnight (as you have suggested here) via wireless charging pad
  • The battery charges up to about 90% each night then stops charging and declines throughout the rest of the night, despite still being on the wireless charging pad
  • You mentioned in a previous post that the wifi antenna disconnects when on standby or otherwise not in use, and that battery drain may be caused by carrier connections.

My question is - specific to this setup, do you not find that this is the case with your phone too? ie it charges to 90% or 95% then stop charging and declines through the night despite being on the wireless charging pad and not in use. How might one prevent this from happening so for example I can wake up in the morning and my phone will be at 95% instead of the 60%-70% that it is when I wake up.

Feb 11, 2022 7:58 AM in response to nosleduc

I had very similar symptoms to those described by nosleduc:

Brand new iPhone 13 mini with battery at 100% charge in the evening and a few times a week I found it in the morning with

• battery level 55-60%.
  • Latest iOS installed - yes
  • All background processing in apps deactivated - yes
  • I even de-activated wifi, bluetooth and cell connection in the evenings - to see if this eliminates this strange behaviour - but it STILL kept repeating
  • I also took my phone to apple service - where it was tested/diagnosed - nothing suspicious found.

But still most of the days the battery history chart in iOS would show gradual decrease: from midnight to 6 AM even though there was no app activity whatsoever.

Finally I think I found some corellation / explanation, though is seems pretty weird:

I noticed that the phenomenon occurs ONLY if the phone is left on a wireless charger (plain Qi charger from Spigen) AND if it is not placed exactly in the middle of the charger,

i.e. my hypothesis is that the phone 'notices' the charger and tries to connect, but for some reason cannot really start charging (because it is not placed exactly in the right spot) and there is some process that keeps repeating 'attempt to charge the phone' - but instead of charging this loop is actually draining the battery.

I know it sounds weird and irrelevant, but once I stopped leaving the phone on Qi charger overnight, the strange phenomenon has STOPPED completely. So (at least in my case) this seems to have resolved the problem.

iPhone 13 Pro battery draining overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.