Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera App Missing!!

The Camera app on my Macbook is suddenly gone, and none of my apps that require it recognize any camera at all. There definitely is a built-in camera, I've used it before. Photobooth, FaceTime, Photos--nothing's working and the actual app for my camera doesn't show up anywhere on my mac--not in System Preferences, Utilities, Dashboard, etc. I've tried rebooting, resetting my SMC, and I've followed every instruction from this website: https://osxdaily.com/2013/12/27/fix-there-is-no-connected-camera-error-mac/, but got "no matching processes were found" every time. Please help.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 3:27 PM

savlylee wrote:

And I believe my Photos library isn’t recognized due to my camera not being recognized. Regardless, the camera is the issue.

They are two separate issues. Photos will work fine even without the camera.

See here for help with the camera:

If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac - Apple Support

If nothing there works, I suggest you contact Apple and have them run a diagnostic. They can generally do that remotely.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2021 3:27 PM in response to savlylee

savlylee wrote:

And I believe my Photos library isn’t recognized due to my camera not being recognized. Regardless, the camera is the issue.

They are two separate issues. Photos will work fine even without the camera.

See here for help with the camera:

If your built-in camera isn’t working on your Mac - Apple Support

If nothing there works, I suggest you contact Apple and have them run a diagnostic. They can generally do that remotely.

Sep 29, 2021 3:10 PM in response to savlylee

There is no "camera tool". You can take pictures with PhotoBooth. Or, you can download other applications from the App store.

The Photos application is where you store your photos. It has little to do with the camera hardware on your computer. The library to which the error message is referring is your collection of photos.

See these links:

Get help with the Photos app on your Mac - Apple Support

How to use the Photos Repair Library on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2021 1:54 PM in response to savlylee

The only camera apps I've ever seen on any of our Macs were those supplied by the camera maker. After a period of time we uninstalled all of those and use the native Mac utilities that allow access to the picture files on the camera. A couple of cameras my wife has will export the pics via WiFi directly to her Macs, but that capability is a camera feature that works in conjunction with her Mac's systems.

Macs already have everything we needed access the camera for offloading. Photoshop Elements my wife did want so we have that along with GIMP.

Sep 29, 2021 2:01 PM in response to savlylee

Edit: I made a mistake in saying “app”. There is no Camera app, I realize. But, the camera tool or whatever you want to call it doesn’t show up anywhere. I have no idea how to get it working again. When I open my Photos App, it says “The library could not be opened. The library ‘Photos Library’ could not be recognized.”

Sep 29, 2021 3:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Theres a miscommunication here. My camera isn’t working on FaceTime, Photo booth, nothing. When I go to my Photos library, there should be at least something other than “not recognized”. I don’t care what you call it, but the built-in camera is not recognized anywhere. And I believe my Photos library isn’t recognized due to my camera not being recognized. Regardless, the camera is the issue.

Camera App Missing!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.