Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPad pro connector USB-C or Thunderbolt/USB-4?

The sheet with my new iPad Pro says the port is "Thunderbolt/USB 4". So does apple.com/ipad/compare. But everything else I can find about iPad Pro on apple.com and elsewhere says the port is USB-C. What's the difference? I have a bunch of USB charger to Lightning cables for older Apple stuff. If I want to replace them, do I look for USB to USB-C, USB to USB-4 or USB to Thunderbolt?

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 10:44 AM

Hello VanDeePecan,

We see you have questions regarding the port on your iPad Pro, and we'd be happy to help clarify.

There's some helpful info regarding that here: Charge and connect with the USB-C port on your iPad

Amongst the other details, you can check out the "Thunderbolt and USB4" section which will note the following: "iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) also support a wide ecosystem of high-performance Thunderbolt and USB4 accessories. "

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 10:44 AM in response to VanDeePecan

Hello VanDeePecan,

We see you have questions regarding the port on your iPad Pro, and we'd be happy to help clarify.

There's some helpful info regarding that here: Charge and connect with the USB-C port on your iPad

Amongst the other details, you can check out the "Thunderbolt and USB4" section which will note the following: "iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (5th generation) also support a wide ecosystem of high-performance Thunderbolt and USB4 accessories. "

Take care!

Is iPad pro connector USB-C or Thunderbolt/USB-4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.