Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APPLE ID

I am trying to change my Apple ID on my phone because I don't use the email associated with that account anymore. When I try to delete the old Apple ID and it asks for the email I want to use, I get the error message

EMAIL USED BY ANOTHER APPLE ID. This email address is not available. Choose a different address

This is my email and Apple ID from that email, but it won't let me use it

What do I do?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 29, 2021 10:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 6:08 AM

Are we talking about different Apple Accounts, or changing the ID on a single account? Apple doesn't have a formal position statement on re-using email addresses but from reports on this forum it is generally understood if you have recently used an email address with Apple for another purpose such as a rescue email address it cannot be re-used immediately for another purpose.

About your Apple ID email addresses (was "Manage your Apple ID primary, rescue, alternate, and notification email addresses") --> https://support.apple.com/HT201356

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 6:08 AM in response to JVOLK1

Are we talking about different Apple Accounts, or changing the ID on a single account? Apple doesn't have a formal position statement on re-using email addresses but from reports on this forum it is generally understood if you have recently used an email address with Apple for another purpose such as a rescue email address it cannot be re-used immediately for another purpose.

About your Apple ID email addresses (was "Manage your Apple ID primary, rescue, alternate, and notification email addresses") --> https://support.apple.com/HT201356

APPLE ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.