Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Multi" Transition - in Replicator/Clones Transition Section

There is an installed transition called "Multi". It is in the Transitions - Replicator/Clones section. It is a customizable split screen, with four squares. I'm attempting to load video to it, so that four different videos from my project play at once. But when I select a source video, only a still image appears. Oddly, at one point I did get one clip to load as a video. So it seems possible. But I can't recreate that, and I'm getting only still images... hoping someone out there has figured this out... thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2021 10:13 AM

That is a known problem and it can be sporadic (I have yet to figure out anything specific that causes that issue — it seems almost random). Make compound clips of the clips you want to use for your transition "panels" (but only of the ones that end up stills). They should animate properly then. Or, you can use the copies you have in your Event/project browser as the sources.

[One clip I have that *always* freezes in drop zones was encoded with the codec: Lavc56.41.100 prores — I suspect some of these third party "custom" or open source codecs for this problem but I haven't been able to prove it.]

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2021 10:13 AM in response to br_ian

That is a known problem and it can be sporadic (I have yet to figure out anything specific that causes that issue — it seems almost random). Make compound clips of the clips you want to use for your transition "panels" (but only of the ones that end up stills). They should animate properly then. Or, you can use the copies you have in your Event/project browser as the sources.

[One clip I have that *always* freezes in drop zones was encoded with the codec: Lavc56.41.100 prores — I suspect some of these third party "custom" or open source codecs for this problem but I haven't been able to prove it.]

Sep 30, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis. I double checked that everything was rendered, and it is. When, on my timeline, I select the Multi transition, the Inspector displays four down arrows (for top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left). I am clicking on one of the down arrows in the Inspector. I am then prompted to choose a source clip that I want to use for that position. I am then selecting a clip in my timeline and clicking "apply clip". When I then attempt to play the transition, all I get is a still image of the clip, not moving video.

Sep 30, 2021 10:20 AM in response to fox_m

Oh — BTW, if you don't want to have compound clips in your storyline, you can duplicate the clips you want to use in the transition drop zones. Make each one of those a compound clip, assign them to the drop zone and then simply *delete* them from your storyline after you've assigned them. The drop zones will still work! That means you can "dress" each one of them up special (add titles or other things you can add into the compound) just for the drop zone then get them out of the way.

"Multi" Transition - in Replicator/Clones Transition Section

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.