Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple speaker playback is no longer functioning correctly… dare I say it, since iOS15

Multiple speaker playback is no longer functioning correctly when HomePod (4 month old) is involved.

I can successfully use multiple speaker playback on other 5 Airplay enabled speakers in any manner of configuration, provided that Homepod is not involved. As soon as HomePod is involved - fail!

Scenario & Equipment involved:

• Airplay 2 compatible speaker x2
  • Airport Express enabled speaker
  • Homepod

a) Initiate music playback on HomePod either directly from iPhone or via Siri on HomePod. This works as it should.

b) attempt to add another Airplay speaker via two methods: 

• First method via HomePod) “Siri play music also on speaker in room z”. Siri responds…“also playing music in room z”.

But, no volume is heard in room z. A check on the Airplay menu on iPhone indicates playback on 2 speakers, but nothing is heard on room z speaker.

• Second method via iPhone) 
    • initiate music playback. Music heard on iPhone
    • choose room z speaker. Music heard on room z speaker
    • choose HomePod.

Now, two different things occur randomly… 1) Spinning wheel against HomePod for several seconds then just reverts to tick against room z speaker. OR, Tick appears against HomePod, shows playback on 2 speakers but no volume is heard on Homepod.

I also have ATV4, but have’t attempted to include it in my testing as it doesn’t feature in my normal listening scenarios. 

Remedial action:

• reset all Airplay speakers except Homepod
  • reset router
  • Powered off iPhone
  • Powered off HomePod

Multiple speaker playback has worked relatively consistently to date.

HomePod

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 12:44 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 1, 2021 7:02 PM in response to mariotheplumber

Hey mariotheplumber,

To make sure we understand you correctly, when using your AirPlay 2 compatible speakers to stream audio simultaneously across several speakers, it works fine. However when attempting to insert HomePod into the mix, whether starting music initially on HomePod or on another speaker, other speakers no longer play audio, is that correct? Additionally, prior to updating to iOS 15, this all worked properly?

If this is the case, and the issue only occurs when inserting HomePod into the setup, take a moment to reset HomePod, set it up again and then try to replicate the issue.

Should the problem persist after that, given the steps you've taken so far, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly for further assistance at that point.

Take care.

Oct 2, 2021 12:59 AM in response to DerekM87

Hi DerekM87,

Many thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, you understood correctly.

Freaky weird… after spending several hours over a couple of days trying to “problem solve” this issue, I gave up messing around and resigned myself to wait it out.

After creating this thread, went to bed, following day started playing music on HomePod and on the off chance “Hey Siri, also play music in kitchen”. Hey Presto - multi-room music is reinstated. What kind of trickery, magic is this?

One day later and it seems the magic is still working. Fingers crossed it continues.

Anyway, thanks again for interest.

Cheers.

Multiple speaker playback is no longer functioning correctly… dare I say it, since iOS15

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.