Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

finder blocked updating iOS

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I am using macOS Big Sur, version 11.6, on a MBP 16" from 2019, Intel Core i9 2,3 GHz proc with 8 cores, memory of 32 GB DDR4@~2,7 GHz.

While updating iOS on the iPad/iPhone, the Finder enters into an infinite loop and gets blocked for any other use.

Maybe this is not intended (Finder is busy downloading iOS system software).

Naturally it didn't happend when the iPad/iPhone software was managed through iTunes (iTunes would get blocked, but not the Finder), and maybe the cause is totally unrelated.

The problem is that the Finder is much more important than any other program in the macOS framework, and should never get blocked, whatever the reason.

So, maybe it's unintended feature in the(my) macOS (a.k.a. bug), but is, naturally, very irritating.

The solution would be to revert the management of iPad/iPhone iOS software and applications back to

iTunes (now Music); I understand why this is not the best logical solution (there is more on iOS devices than Music), then I strongly suggest Apple to have a program for managing iOS devices, and all its contents, as it was iTunes, and call it differently (not "Music" nor "Books" nor "Movies" nor "Photos" nor anything "contents-related"; just, for example, "iOS Manager", "iOS Devices", or "iOS Tools", or less serious names as "iOS Park", "iOS Arena", "iOS Land", "iOS Area", etc).

Please free the Finder from managing iOS devices, because when it is downloading software, is not doing much else and the whole computer gets blocked (luckily except this browser that I'm writing on, provided it does not need access to files)...

Best regards,

.pedro

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 2:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 3:19 AM

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and much easier than involving the wired connect to computer

Similar questions

2 replies

finder blocked updating iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.