Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming quality issues

This seems to have started after updating to tvOS 15 so I’m curious if anyone else is experiencing this.

My Apple TV 4K (1st gen) has been having issues maintaining quality. The video will drop from 4K to what looks like 480p, then after a minute it might switch back before it gets bad again, and occasionally it’ll pause to buffer. This happens on Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV+, even purchased movies. I have the Apple TV 4K plugged into my router’s Ethernet port, and Speedtest shows consistent download speeds around 200 Mbps. I’ve also tried unplugging it to use it on WiFi, same thing happens. I use Speedtest on other devices and I’m seeing speeds over 200 Mbps on WiFi.

I’ve power cycled the modem, router, and Apple TV. I turned off my smart TV’s WiFi. I tried turning the video quality down to 1080p and turning off HDR but that didn’t help. No other devices are having connectivity issues. My Apple TV HD upstairs isn’t doing this. I’ve been in this apartment with this setup since April and this has never happened. I only started noticing it after the update. It just doesn’t make sense.

Anyone else seeing this issue or have any ideas?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2021 8:19 PM

I am having this issue as well, AppleTV, Hulu and Netflix (haven't tested HBOMax or Prime yet) are nearly unwatchable the buffering and blurriness are so bad. I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps, with no improvement. I've also seen this issue being discussed on the reddit boards, so there is definitely a problem with the latest update.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2021 8:19 PM in response to scottybob4

I am having this issue as well, AppleTV, Hulu and Netflix (haven't tested HBOMax or Prime yet) are nearly unwatchable the buffering and blurriness are so bad. I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps, with no improvement. I've also seen this issue being discussed on the reddit boards, so there is definitely a problem with the latest update.

Oct 4, 2021 7:27 AM in response to scottybob4

Hopefully everyone sees this response. I feel like a dummy but I couldn't figure a way to delete this post. Since I'm seeing so many other people experiencing the same issue, here's how I fixed it.

The final troubleshooting step that I hadn't tried was resetting my modem (I use a Motorola MB7220 modem that I purchased rather than renting from the cable company). In a final act of desperation, I used a pen to press and hold the tiny recessed Reset button, waited for it to reboot, and...it worked!

I'm not sure why power cycling it didn't have the same effect. But at any rate, I've had multiple days of normal streaming quality on all the aforementioned apps. No buffering, no pausing, no downgrading. Everything is back to normal. I can't imagine that it had anything to do with tvOS 15 since a modem reset fixed it for me, so it's odd that so many other people are seeing this issue.

Nov 14, 2021 8:21 PM in response to scottybob4

I’m having streaming issues on my local wired network using the Computers app from my iTunes library on my Mac Mini M1. Apple TV 4th generation boxes, hardwired network. Never a problem with local streaming before tvOS 15. Now sometimes it won’t load the library at all, sometimes when I select a movie it will say it doesn’t exist, sometimes when watching a movie it’ll buffer heavily or the picture will freeze while the audio continues.

I was thinking this could just be the 4th gen are so old now I would have to upgrade for it to continue working but if it’s affecting newer boxes as well that’s not a solution.

Streaming quality issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.