Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple TV streaming is bad

I have 1GB speed internet.

Every other streaming services works fine with 4K Dolby vision and atmos.

some tv shows from Apple TV+, and every movie I rent or buy, I can’t watch it properly. The quality keeps changing from excellent to really bad. This happens on my ps5, Apple TV or LG tv.

what’s going on ??

TV Sala

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 3:27 AM

For anyone that ends up with the same issue...

After many and many tests, I figured out that the streaming for Apple TV is much more sensible to the capacity/quality of the Wifi network than other services.

I ended up solving my issue buying a Netgear Nighthawk wifi router, which is very expensive, and in the same room as my Apple TV, with no objects between them, I get the best streaming quality 95% of the time.

I strongly recommend to use ethernet cable in the Apple TV to get 100% streaming quality. I also noticed that the same issue happens in PS5, or LG TV, but only with Apple TV+.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2023 3:27 AM in response to bryanr14

For anyone that ends up with the same issue...

After many and many tests, I figured out that the streaming for Apple TV is much more sensible to the capacity/quality of the Wifi network than other services.

I ended up solving my issue buying a Netgear Nighthawk wifi router, which is very expensive, and in the same room as my Apple TV, with no objects between them, I get the best streaming quality 95% of the time.

I strongly recommend to use ethernet cable in the Apple TV to get 100% streaming quality. I also noticed that the same issue happens in PS5, or LG TV, but only with Apple TV+.

Jul 28, 2023 3:09 PM in response to EvertonC7

Hi EvertonC7,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. There are steps available that may help improve the quality of the content you're watching in the Apple TV app. Here are the steps we encourage for you to follow that can help:

Update to the latest version of the Apple TV app
Update to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, macOS, or tvOS.

If you're using a compatible smart TV, streaming device, or gaming console that's connected to the internet, the Apple TV app should update automatically. If you need help, you can contact the manufacturer or learn how to get the Apple TV app on your device.

If the video quality is bad or it stops playing
1. If multiple people on your network are using the internet, your connection speed might slow down. Ask them to temporarily pause their internet activities.

2. If you're using a smart TV or streaming device, turn it off and back on again. If you're using an Apple device, restart it.

3. Tap or click the download button to try downloading the movie or TV show instead.*

* You can't download movies or TV shows to Apple TV, smart TVs, or streaming devices. You can download HDR content only to certain iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models. You can't download 4K video content to any device.

Following these steps may help and is outlined in this article: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app - Apple Support

Kind regards.

Mar 2, 2024 7:09 PM in response to DesignersLair

DesignersLair wrote:

its all bad. So few movies/options. Nothing new. It’s the newest yet most archaic of them all. I haven’t seen anything but one movie in 2 seasons, why am I paying? What am I paying for?. And before that only 2 series in 6 months. Why is Apple TV so bad?

If you don't like it, cancel it. Why do you keep paying money for something that you think is that bad? Seems silly.

Apple TV streaming is bad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.