Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Saving project optimized and original media folders

When I finish a project, I consolidate and save all media to Library. I then move that project to a another HD for storage. Do I also need to move the external optimized and original media folders that goes with this project?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 9:30 AM

You don't need to archive the optimized or proxy media with the library, nor the render files. It's a waste of space. All the generated files can be rebuilt by the application should you ever need them.

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 1, 2021 9:54 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Okay. So I moved the project to another HD without the external folders for optimized and original media. I then opened the project from the new HD and it is there with all the media. For a long time I've been saving those folders thinking the project needed that media to function, that I might be getting the re-link files warning if I did not have the folders with the project.

Thanks again Tom...Bill

Oct 1, 2021 10:09 AM in response to billehman

When you consolidate, you bring everything into the library, and your library becomes self-contained - it no longer references anything external.

But if you consolidate Optimized media as well as original, you are STILL wasting possibly hundreds of gigabytes.

Optimized and Proxy media, and render files are all "generated" files, there is no reason to archive them. If you ever come to need them they can be generated again.

Saving project optimized and original media folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.