Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I move media from large library to external folder?

Hi,

From my earliest days using FCPX, when libraries were the only choice, I have a library of 270gb.

Of course it's backed up, but because of work with smaller segments, I'd much prefer daily backing up a much smaller library, of just the "brains".

How can I move the media from the library to an external folder ?

best

royks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 6:43 AM

Yes, you're consolidating the whole library.

To trim the media you should make a new library and assign the external location you want for it's media. Then copy the events, projects, or clips that you want to consolidate into the new library. Just the material you copy into will go into the assigned storage location.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 6:43 AM in response to royksjr

Yes, you're consolidating the whole library.

To trim the media you should make a new library and assign the external location you want for it's media. Then copy the events, projects, or clips that you want to consolidate into the new library. Just the material you copy into will go into the assigned storage location.

Oct 3, 2022 5:34 AM in response to royksjr

Select the library and in library properties click Modify. In the drop-down menu that says In Library select Choose. Assign the folder you want and then in the properties Inspector click Consolidate. This will move the clips out of the library into the assigned folder and replace them with symlinks.

FCP has never required media to be inside the library though that’s been the default state.

Oct 3, 2022 6:06 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks, Tom!

I have an external folder with another 200gb. And other folders elsewhere on other drives. It appears Consolidate will copy any media noted in the Browser to the new Library folder, even unused media.

My 1tb drive has only 175gb left.

Is there any way to move only the media I want to the new Library folder?

Thanks again!

How can I move media from large library to external folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.