Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Moving my Library from "Copy to library" to "Leave files in place"

I've recently deleted and installed FCP again and I thought my settings would be synced automatically, so I've started a project and after a while I've realized all my media were imported using the default "Copy to library".

How can I switch to "Leave files in place" for this particular Library?

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 3:37 AM

The settings are for the application and not per library.

Go to Final Cut Pro->Settings->Import and make the change.

This won't affect files that have already been copied, but you can easily fix that.

I assume that you have the files somewhere else on your drive.

1) Change the library media location to a temporary folder on the same drive as your library:

select the library in the browser, open the Inspector and click "Modify Settings" next to "Storage Locations".

Choose a folder for the media, instead of "in library".

2) Consolidate: click the "Consolidate" button next to "Media" in the Inspector

This will effectively move all the media that was inside the library to the selected folder.

Note that, at this point, you should still have two copies of the media: the one that you had wished to use with "leave in place", and the one that had been copied to the library, but now resides in a separate folder.

3) **** Delete the temporary folder

Note that all the media in the library will appear as offline now.

4) Relink to the desired location. If the files are all in a same place, this can be done in a single step.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 18, 2023 3:37 AM in response to robertopinotti

The settings are for the application and not per library.

Go to Final Cut Pro->Settings->Import and make the change.

This won't affect files that have already been copied, but you can easily fix that.

I assume that you have the files somewhere else on your drive.

1) Change the library media location to a temporary folder on the same drive as your library:

select the library in the browser, open the Inspector and click "Modify Settings" next to "Storage Locations".

Choose a folder for the media, instead of "in library".

2) Consolidate: click the "Consolidate" button next to "Media" in the Inspector

This will effectively move all the media that was inside the library to the selected folder.

Note that, at this point, you should still have two copies of the media: the one that you had wished to use with "leave in place", and the one that had been copied to the library, but now resides in a separate folder.

3) **** Delete the temporary folder

Note that all the media in the library will appear as offline now.

4) Relink to the desired location. If the files are all in a same place, this can be done in a single step.

Moving my Library from "Copy to library" to "Leave files in place"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.