Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Best way to offload a FCP Library

Hello -

I'm a grade above novice when it comes to editing and a complete noob when it comes to editing organization.

I'm finished with a project and want to offload it to an external drive.

Before I consolidate the library media - I know there's an option to delete generated library files. I'm still uncertain what each of these functions do.

Should I delete all Rendered files, Optimized Media and Proxy Media before Consolidating and exporting? What does that mean exactly? Will the timelines in the project be fine? will the original media still be in the package contents?

Thanks so much!

-G.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 10:12 AM

4 replies

Oct 28, 2023 7:02 AM in response to imgaryshap

I noticed a slight ambiguity in the answers you were given.

So to avoid even the smallest confusion for anyone reading this thread, the references to deleting all files meant all rendered (or generated) files.

Highlight your Library and open File in the menu bar . . . then click Delete Generated Library Files.

In the window that opens, select everything as in the picture below and click OK.

Best way to offload a FCP Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.