Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy media to final cut library in finder

Is it possible to copy media directly to my final cut library file in finder?

It would be easier, as I need a special external tool to offload and sync my files first.

Otherwise i will stick with external file folders, but it would be a bit more clean to have everything together..

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2021 5:05 AM

PeteHikers wrote:

No.

Just adding files will not update the library database.

You should not really mess with the contents of the library in the Finder. Doing this can corrupt the library.

t would be easier, as I need a special external tool to offload and sync my files first.
Otherwise i will stick with external file folders, but it would be a bit more clean to have everything together..

That is really up to you.

You can choose to import things into the library, or leave in place.

The former has the advantage of making the library self-contained; the latter saves space and time.

You may even opt for doing this differently for different libraries. For example, if a production only requires a few not so big media files, it can be useful to make the library self-contained, and you can just copy the library to another drive or mac without worrying about losing anything.

On the other hand, if you use lots and lots of GB of media files, it is way better to leave in place, as it avoids duplicating media and keeps the library small and nimble.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2021 5:05 AM in response to PeteHikers

PeteHikers wrote:

No.

Just adding files will not update the library database.

You should not really mess with the contents of the library in the Finder. Doing this can corrupt the library.

t would be easier, as I need a special external tool to offload and sync my files first.

That is really up to you.

You can choose to import things into the library, or leave in place.

The former has the advantage of making the library self-contained; the latter saves space and time.

You may even opt for doing this differently for different libraries. For example, if a production only requires a few not so big media files, it can be useful to make the library self-contained, and you can just copy the library to another drive or mac without worrying about losing anything.

On the other hand, if you use lots and lots of GB of media files, it is way better to leave in place, as it avoids duplicating media and keeps the library small and nimble.

copy media to final cut library in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.