Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi calling over second line

i have two sim on my phone. when there is a wifi i can make wifi calling with either.

is there a way to use wifi calling when there is no wifi(suppose i am in a rural area and only one carrier is covered and another is not.)

ios 15.0

iphone 13

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 12:01 PM

One of the requirements of making a call through Wi-Fi calling is that the iPhone must have a Wi-Fi connection. This Wi-Fi connection is required for carrier to make an authentication and then continue with making and receiving calls through that Wi-Fi connection, This means that if you do not have a Wi-Fi Network or your iPhone is not connected to a Wi-Fi Network then Wi-Fi Calling feature cannot be used.

The other question then pops up is whether one phone number can use another phone numbers Cellular connection to use for Wi-Fi calling. The answer is still a NO.

Can you use a HotSpot connection for Wi-Fi calling? Answer is YES, however, it cannot be from a HotSpot created by the same device that makes the Wi-Fi calling phone call. In other words, your iPhone would have to be connected to a HotSpot created by another separate device.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 12:01 PM in response to selcuk147

One of the requirements of making a call through Wi-Fi calling is that the iPhone must have a Wi-Fi connection. This Wi-Fi connection is required for carrier to make an authentication and then continue with making and receiving calls through that Wi-Fi connection, This means that if you do not have a Wi-Fi Network or your iPhone is not connected to a Wi-Fi Network then Wi-Fi Calling feature cannot be used.

The other question then pops up is whether one phone number can use another phone numbers Cellular connection to use for Wi-Fi calling. The answer is still a NO.

Can you use a HotSpot connection for Wi-Fi calling? Answer is YES, however, it cannot be from a HotSpot created by the same device that makes the Wi-Fi calling phone call. In other words, your iPhone would have to be connected to a HotSpot created by another separate device.

Axel F.

wifi calling over second line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.