Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you charge iPhone 13 with old chargers?

Can I charge my new iPhone 13 with the old iPhone 7 5W charger?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2021 5:36 PM

This is a bunch of BS. If you were so concerned about the environment, why did you change from USB A to USB C?!? Everyone just got through installing USB A ports in their houses, hotels, and businesses. Now the are no longer compatible with your new cord. Give me one good (non BS) reason why you did this. I’ll wait.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2021 5:36 PM in response to FoxFifth

This is a bunch of BS. If you were so concerned about the environment, why did you change from USB A to USB C?!? Everyone just got through installing USB A ports in their houses, hotels, and businesses. Now the are no longer compatible with your new cord. Give me one good (non BS) reason why you did this. I’ll wait.

Oct 1, 2021 3:39 PM in response to rtalbot732

Yes.

Also see the following from https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-13

As part of our efforts to reach our environmental goals, iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini do not include a power adapter or EarPods. Included in the box is a USB‑C to Lightning Cable that supports fast charging and is compatible with USB‑C power adapters and computer ports.

We encourage you to re‑use your current USB‑A to Lightning cables, power adapters, and headphones, which are compatible with these iPhone models. But if you need any new Apple power adapters or headphones, they are available for purchase.

Jan 7, 2022 3:49 PM in response to Joe129pdi

Joe129pdi wrote:
My question is the opposite of what is being asked within this specific forum exchange. Can an Apple high speed USB C cable (with power adapter) be used to charge iPhone's that are older...iPhone X, iPhone Xl, etc.? I can't seem to get a straight answer when I search this question on the web.

It's all forward and backwards compatible. Older cables and/or lower current adapters may limit the current but a newer iPhone will just deal with it. An older iPhone with newer cables/adapters that can provide more power will only take as much as it needs. On top of that, all the Lightning cable does is provide a steady 5V power supply. The actual charging is controlled by the charging circuits inside the iPhone. With a "voltage source" it really doesn't matter how much current can be supplied, as the circuits will limit the current to what's required. It's actually basic Ohm's Law, which is V = I x R. The charging circuits control the value of R.

Oct 16, 2021 10:19 AM in response to CheesieLee

CheesieLee wrote:

So please confirm that using a 12 watt USB-A to lightning charger will not harm an IPhone13 Pro or cause it to charge slower over time if you then try to use the MagSafe USB-C 20W charger?

It won't harm it or negatively affect it. Also see the following from Charge your iPhone with an iPad or Mac notebook power adapter - Apple Support

You can use Apple USB power adapters for iPad and Mac notebooks to charge iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch, AirPods, and other Apple products.

You can use Apple 10W and 12W USB power adapters to charge your iPad, iPhone, iPod, Apple Watch, and other Apple accessories, like AirPods and Siri Remote. Just connect your device to the power adapter with the USB to Lightning cable, 30-pin to USB cable, or Apple Watch charger that came with your device. 

Dec 1, 2021 6:34 PM in response to dj3183

You're welcome. You actually can't direct anything in this forum to Apple. You can, if you want, direct something to Apple via this link --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

It won't get much attention from Apple however. USB A is as Lawrence Finch points out VERY OLD technology, whose time has come and gone and we all need to move on to USB C. There is simply no advantage to USB A anymore. There is much advantage to USB C.

Jan 7, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Joe129pdi

Joe129pdi wrote:

My question is the opposite of what is being asked within this specific forum exchange. Can an Apple high speed USB C cable (with power adapter) be used to charge iPhone's that are older...iPhone X, iPhone Xl, etc.? I can't seem to get a straight answer when I search this question on the web.

Yes, it can. And any iPhone 8 or later will fast charge -- see: Fast charge your iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 6, 2022 10:58 PM in response to Dineshpinjani123

I think people are leaving out info/not being specific. They’re making it sound like the charger brick and charger cord should work, unless I’m making the assumption. But based on comments from people saying they still had to purchase something to use the old brick or your new cord if all you have is an old brick, so I’ll try to be specific.

The short answer is yes, the old white 5W brick will work - but not with your new cord.

If you have your old brick AND cord, then you can use it to charge your new phone.

If your old cord is shot, and you were hoping to use the new cord with your old 5W brick, that won’t work without an adapter or new brick. I think that’s where there’s some confusion - some people may just be talking about the brick.

I’ve seen two types of usbc female to usba male adapters: one that looks like the usb connector for wireless keyboards/mouses, and another that has a cord between the usba and usbc connectors.

Examples of both adapters you would need to use for your new cord are attached.

Ultimately you can use your old brick and cord, buy an adapter to use your new cord with your old white brick, or you can buy a fast charger, which is a new kind of brick that works with the new charger cord.

Nov 13, 2021 1:08 PM in response to Solthefly

5W is the minimum which you can use to charge an iPhone 13. Any previous iPhone charger you've used in the past to charge an iPhone will be fine. If the charging brick is USB A to lightning, as was the case with older charging bricks its fine to use with iPhone 13. You only need a 20W USB C brick if you want to use Fast Charging on your iPhone 13.

Dec 1, 2021 5:42 PM in response to dj3183

FoxFifth didn't change anything from USB A to USB C. He along with everyone else on this user to user only forum is a user. You are not speaking with anyone from Apple. Maybe you should have read the terms of use you agreed to when you joined this forum and you would have known you signed into a user only forum.

We didn't have anything to do with any design change. But it's about time Apple started moving to USB C as far as I'm concerned. Most of the rest of the world has already transitioned. I'm glad they are moving there, albeit slowly.

And so you know, you can't fast charge a newer iPhone without USB C and at least a 20W charging brick. That is if you want to charge your phone plugged in.

Dec 1, 2021 6:17 PM in response to dj3183

dj3183 wrote:

JUST? USB-A has been around for 25 years, it was first implemented in 1996. That’s a long JUST. It’s about time something better was introduced. USB-C was first deployed in 2014, SEVEN years ago. The rest of the world has already switched to USB-C; Apple was one of the last holdouts; every electronic product I have bought in the past few years has had a USB-C port, not USB-A. But fortunately, you can still use one of the dozens of USB-A cables you have buried in drawers around the house. While iPhones still have Lightning ports, Apple has switched most other products to USB-C ports, including all new Macs and iPads. And they will have to switch iPhones soon to comply with European Union standards that will ban proprietary connectors on electronic products.

Can you charge iPhone 13 with old chargers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.