Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Freezing several times and eventually I crashed, yet restarted fast

Desktop is new to me (3 days) with a fresh install. Its a trashcan with decent specs. It came with Catalina and I upgraded to Big Sur. I noticed freezing. I assumed it was the trackpad/mouse. I disconnected the bluetooth trackpad, but the freezing continues. I assumed it was the mouse because it seem to be only clicking that was initially freezing. I was in the midst of a google meet call when it froze and then crashed. I have that report below. Also I will include the computer information

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

Memory: 128 GB

Macintosh HD:

Free: 973.92 GB (973,917,249,536 bytes)

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,345,825,280 bytes)

Mount Point: /

File System: APFS

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 3:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2021 7:14 PM

With no third-party extensions present, Watchdog timer fired because WindowServer wandered off and did not respond. that suggests you may have a graphics card problem. If you can return this system, you probably should.

If not, I suggest you change the PRAM backup battery -- not because that is indicated, but because the 32 step teardown removes and refreshes the connection of the ribbon cables that connect the graphics cards with the rest of the system. This sometimes fixes or puts off flaky graphics cards problems.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2021 7:14 PM in response to miss808

With no third-party extensions present, Watchdog timer fired because WindowServer wandered off and did not respond. that suggests you may have a graphics card problem. If you can return this system, you probably should.

If not, I suggest you change the PRAM backup battery -- not because that is indicated, but because the 32 step teardown removes and refreshes the connection of the ribbon cables that connect the graphics cards with the rest of the system. This sometimes fixes or puts off flaky graphics cards problems.

Oct 3, 2021 10:36 AM in response to miss808

download and run this little "discovery" Utility. It fixes nothing, just generate a report that can be "shared" back to the forums, and readers can take a look for possible issues and conflicts. Be sure to change its preferences to "allow full disk access" before saying "go".

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Oct 1, 2021 9:12 PM in response to miss808

The type of monitor connected can not cause kernel panics of this type.

In Mac Pro late 2013 models, watchdog timer firing because WindowServer stopped responding correlates directly with graphic cards issues, and nothing else. (unless you have additional software that might be interfering, but no extensions were listed.)

The quick test for added software causing a problem is to run in Safe Mode, and see if results are any different.

Oct 3, 2021 12:11 PM in response to miss808

You don't have any obvious stinkers added, 1password is not suspect.

All your panics and high CPU usage alerts are around WindowServer and graphics issues.

You should probably run the diagnostic as a check against gross graphics or other hardware failures, but it is usually, "No Fault Found".

My last suggestion is a little 'out there', but there have been reports that it helped. I suggest you check and or replace the PRAM backup battery -- not because it is indicated (it is not in this case) but because the 32-step tear-down required to get to it includes removing and refreshing the ribbon cable connectors that link the graphics cards into the rest of the system. This refreshes their contacts, removing any accumulated corrosion, and MAY make some improvement in stability.

Mac Pro Freezing several times and eventually I crashed, yet restarted fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.